On the way home from Malvern

On the way home yesterday I spotted a dead TR6 on the hard shoulder of the M40.

I know you are not meant to stop to help but I tend to have most spares in the boot.

The chaps clutch had gone - no gear selection  possible. Caused by no clutch fluid.

I do carry fluid (DOT4) but it turned out that the AA had refilled the system earlier that day.

So clearly he had a nasty little leak - although they could find no evidence of leaking.

He was happy to wait for the AA to turn up so we left him to it.  I hope he got home in a sensible time.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

On the way home yesterday I spotted a dead TR6 on the hard shoulder of the M40.

I know you are not meant to stop to help but I tend to have most spares in the boot.

The chaps clutch had gone - no gear selection  possible. Caused by no clutch fluid.

I do carry fluid (DOT4) but it turned out that the AA had refilled the system earlier that day.

So clearly he had a nasty little leak - although they could find no evidence of leaking.

He was happy to wait for the AA to turn up so we left him to it.  I hope he got home in a sensible time.

Roger

Well done Roger! A true good TR man!

Bruce.

Well done Roger.

Mick from Essex who goes to the London group, I need a new clutch and you have already given me some tips.

I also could see that White TR6, I was in my Kia Picanto and would not have been able to help.

For me it was to dangerous to stop, but I could see the gentleman was on the other side of the barrier so safe.

It was a shame I did not see you, hope you enjoyed the show, I did.

Mick.

Hi Mick,

I hope you are keeping well.

I know it is frowned on to stop on the motorway but if I could have got him going quickly then it would have removed that danger.

I thought the show this year really was good.  Me and Sue were hotelling this year so couldn't make use of the beer tent and band.:(

Roger

Hi Roger all good this end, hope the same with you.

It may be frowned upon to stop on the motorway, but I can think of worst crimes.

I had a minor hernia operation and advised not to do heavy work for 3 months, being retired it was easy to take that advice.

I am now ready to start my clutch repair.

Mick.  

Cheers Roger, my TR6 is a US spec car so does not have overdrive, but the gearbox alone will be heavy.

As normal I am the brawn and my brothers friend Paul is the brains. 

Paul has done this work on Triumphs in the past so I do not expect any problems.

I expect the longest job will be all the interior removal and refitting, shame Triumph did not make gearbox removal from below.

Mick.

Was that a white left hooker you saw Roger? Near High Wycombe? If so I saw him pull over as I was giving my new F-Type R a ‘pasting’.

As regards breaking down my TR failed me on the M25…. That little escapade prompted me to fit a hazard switch over the winter!

Hi Dave,

didn't spot it was a LHD but it was closing in on High Wycombe.

The owner said it had only done 16000 miles from new. So it was probably still running in 50 years later.

He had conked out earlier that day and the AA had topped him up with clutch fluid. There appeared to be no leaks.

It must be going somewhere as it emptied just a few hours later.

Roger

PS - the hazard flashers are a good move

Edited by RogerH
On 8/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, RogerH said:

...On the way home yesterday I spotted a dead TR6 on the hard shoulder...

No no it's not dead,  it's just restin'! Remarkable car, the TR6. Beautiful plumage!

Yes that would have been the same one! He was cruising steady, should have kept going! Clutchless gear changes are easy enough with a balance of revs/speed and not rushing the change.

When I broke down the interesting think the recovery couldn’t fit the tow bar because it was so low it may have dug into the road. The chap also said they weren’t to use a tow rope!! I said I was happy…just be mindful no brake assist! Then out came the tow rope and it was really short as some time in the past it had snapped…. Concentration was the order of the day!:lol:

Yes I passed the white TR6 (from Malvern) on the M40 too. The traffic was very slow so I was able to call out to the chap if he had recovery in place. He nodded in the affirmative. I had viewed the car at Malvern and saw it was a very late registered (1977) car with an S plate - the aspect that caught my eye in the first place. If he had had a clutch actuation problem, that's a coincidence as my TR6 clutch master cylinder failed on entering the site on Friday afternoon. I was able to resource a new item from Richard ? from Colchester in the autojumble and duly fitted the car over the weekend.

T

3 hours ago, Trever the rever said:

Yes I passed the white TR6 (from Malvern) on the M40 too. The traffic was very slow so I was able to call out to the chap if he had recovery in place. He nodded in the affirmative. I had viewed the car at Malvern and saw it was a very late registered (1977) car with an S plate - the aspect that caught my eye in the first place. If he had had a clutch actuation problem, that's a coincidence as my TR6 clutch master cylinder failed on entering the site on Friday afternoon. I was able to resource a new item from Richard ? from Colchester in the autojumble and duly fitted the car over the weekend.

Trevor(?) - that was me! Glad to have been of help

Cheers Rich ( Crewe-Read )