Our faithful cat vanished on 1 July. He, or possibly she according to the vets, never roamed far but would accompany me on short woodland walks. After ten days searching the valley and asking our two neighbours - a quarter mile away - I gave up. Then last Wednesday the vets called and said the cat had been handed-in in the town 8 miles away. Twinkle had been chipped only a few months previously, when he was in the vets recovering from us poisoning him with flea powder. We never really thought the chip was needed, he never roamed far, how wrong we were.  Moral: cats and chips go well together.  Peter

GladTwinkle has  returned, put some butter on his/her paws and tell him/her he/she is very naughty. Sounds to me He/she went for a ride in a car.

Cats only stay with us because we are faithful servants, who know their place.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, JohnG said:

Cats only stay with us because we are faithful servants, who know their place.

Ha ha so true.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I thought this was going to be some Korean cooking thread

Roger

:D:D:D

A few years ago a friends very old cat disappeared and could not be found.  It wasn't very well and after searching for a while my friend went out and got a replacement cat for free.   A couple of years later he found that someone a few streets away had been looking after it and paying the huge vet bills it had needed.  He wasn't upset at all.

Paul

Twinkle is expert at killing the rats around the hen coops. Poison would be cheaper, but he is entertaining to watch when hunting. He was originally a stray, and survived by killing adult pheasants - he jumps on the bird from behind and wraps his frontlegs around the wings and bites through the neck - very quick. Peter

• 1 month later...

Twinkle has vanished again, between 2 and 4pm Saturday. She was recovered and regained her normal weight but had stopped wandering more than the immediate garden This time we defo suspect a thief,probably the same one. No CCTV any where along the 1.5 mile culdesac, so one is being installed. Advert for local rag being penned.... https://prnt.sc/1vl5ddl

I didn't think my Lionel roamed far - there are open fields across a quiet road, to woods and the canal. But he was killed by a car on a town street, a mile in the opposite direction.

Why he would explore that way, I have no idea.    His chip was useless!   A kind member of the public took him to a vets surgery nearby, but there was nothing they could do.  But neither could the Kennel Club who could not tell them that I was his owner, nor would tell me when I asked them where he was.   Worse, they could not care less when eventually by ringing local vets to enquire, I found him in their morgue.   When I rang them back to tell them he was found, and rat the system had not worked. The Kennel Club blamed the Vet for not reporting him correctly.

Chips are rubbish!

17 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I didn't think my Lionel roamed far - there are open fields across a quiet road, to woods and the canal. But he was killed by a car on a town street, a mile in the opposite direction.

Why he would explore that way, I have no idea.    His chip was useless!   A kind member of the public took him to a vets surgery nearby, but there was nothing they could do.  But neither could the Kennel Club who could not tell them that I was his owner, nor would tell me when I asked them where he was.   Worse, they could not care less when eventually by ringing local vets to enquire, I found him in their morgue.   When I rang them back to tell them he was found, and rat the system had not worked. The Kennel Club blamed the Vet for not reporting him correctly.

Chips are rubbish!

Cats usually have a massive stomping ground.

The bloody idiots that want to have power blame GDPR - Hands are tied mate. 

They are ignorant control freaks - to many around.

The chips certainly did work. About ten years ago an African Grey parrot befriended us and popped in for tea.

After a day or so we got a vet to read its chip. This gave us the address/phone # every thing we needed.

We contacted the owner and he described the parrot down to a tee.  When we returned it the chap bust into tears. He thought he had lost of for good.

Roger

Roger 

Edited by RogerH
17 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The chips certainly did work. About ten years ago an African Grey parrot befriended us and popped in for tea.

After a day or so we got a vet to read its chip. This gave us the address/phone # every thing we needed.

Doesn't work if it's a Norwegian Blue.

My Heinz 57 neutered cat (Bootsy) would often tuck in with my Heinz 57 dog (Fred) with both food and bed. 

They would snuggle up together in front of the fire.

The cat had an interesting party trick.  If the cat was on the stairs nodding off and my 5 year old lad wanted to go up the stairs the cat would not allow him to pass - 

Claws and hissy fit - and that was just the lad :blink:

Roger

I realize that there are tens of thousands of cat videos on you tube, and I would not normally recommend viewing any, even though some are amusing.

But I found this one yesterday.

Not only is it brilliantly produced, but the words describe cat behavior 100%

Twinkle is back home !  She dropped into the local pub 2miles away last night and was recognised by aneighbour who messaged me a photo on FB. Seems to be quite happy in the pub:

http://prntscr.com/1wubo4b