drum brakes sticking on - non TR

With the start of autumn (damp, even rain) the (handbrake) rear drum brakes on the daily driver have started sticking overnight.  Have to rock the car backwards & forwards in the morning to release them.

Has anyone any ideas to stop this ?  I would rather not park it overnight without the hand brake on.

Roll on spring.  Thanks Duncan

Give us a clue Duncan, is it a Ferrarri or maybe a McClaren, my Ford S Max used to do this but had disc rear brakes and everybody who has them knows it, we all leave them in gear and no handbrake.

Mick Richards

Modern cars with drum rear brakes are fitted with internal automatic adjustment - a pain if one wants to remove the drum.

Might the car have self-adjusted following heavy braking and so held the brakes on?

Ian Cornish

I dealt with this issue quite succinctly in the Moss Spitfire catalogue.  

You need a LBC1       See item 51 of the catalogue page below.

It has now been made (NLS) No Longer Supplied.   I think it is not an availability nor sourcing issue but the Americans suffering from ‘humeroids’. A condition caused by a hardening of the attitudes 

B907AD3B-F265-4573-B93F-1938454B9414.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It has now been made (NLS) No Longer Supplied.   I think it is not an availability nor sourcing issue but the Americans suffering from ‘humeroids’. A condition caused by a hardening of the attitudes 

:lol:

Yes, brilliant!

And Duncan, just park in gear would be my fix. Otherwise, dismantle and see what you find….

Waldi

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

The back story to the LBC1 brick - We Triumph people consider the brick to be a functional not a collectible artistic item.

As my contribution to bonkers marketing  I suggested we sold breeze blocks soaked in oil as ex Canley construction materials - I was over-ruled.

........When the MG Abingdon buildings were being demolished in the early 1980's someone sold a quantity of those ex Abingdon factory,  LBC  (London Brick Company) bricks to Moss & Abingdon Spares in the USA.

Moss added value to them by adding the plaque & wooden base, today we would call it   upcycling.

Today they seem to still change hands for upwards of $700*

image.png.e5956a705d59cdbbe64c1714357531bd.png

Following part found on a MG Experience forum article

Marketing at it's Best...

"Hello all! My wife and I have the opportunity to purchase land in Siler City, North Carolina to build our dream retirement log cabin. This is a prohibitively expensive proposition, and will require selling off an extensive collection of spares and memorabilia for my 1969 MGB roadster, now on the rotisserie. Many items have been featured in the thread "It was Done Back Then," and are quite desirable. If that is not successful- I will sell the car as well.

Rarely do factory bricks come up for sale. I am trying to establish the last known selling price for a Moss Motors offered London brick mounted on a walnut base. If my memory serves correctly- the last one sold for north of seven hundred dollars.

Sales will be CONUS, as the US Postal Service has been very unreliable and delivery cannot be trusted to overseas purchases and barely domestic ones. This does not mean that European or British purchasers cannot buy- they should do so through a US party for their own protection and mine. I prefer money order or cash rather than PayPal please.

I am willing to offer the brick privately here instead of eBay, but do understand- the brick will sell at last known market value at a minimum and it will not be cheap."

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT