TR6 PI Manifold Centre Inlet

Hi Everyone

I joined the the club a couple of months ago and this is my first inquiry.

I have dismantled the injection linkage in order to fit the missing three bearings from the assembly.... I noticed the centre inlets are quite dirty, see the attached photo. What would you recommend for cleaning the inlets, or should I leave it as it is. 

Regards

Bahman

20210806_090614.jpg

If you clean them you will certainly upset the sealing balance, If you clean them, you may need to clean the interconnecting tubes between the bodies as well.

Is it only just the the two middle ones, looks as if the engine breather could be letting in a lot fumes, worth cleaning the filter in the breather pipe and make sure it can run oil back into the rocker cover, meaning try and elevate it. 

I would use brake cleaner if I was to do it.

John

Thanks John...

All 6 are showing this residue to a different degree....I think I am going to leave it as it is.... as this is my first TR6 and I am currently learning. 

I will definitely attempt to clean the filter in the breather pipe, just checking... where is the filter in the breather pipe, I do not thibnk you are referring to the air filter-->Hose-->Air manifold  

I have attached a photo before I dismantled it all.

20210727_161210.jpg

HI Mike

I have had the car for a month and have done little driving so far... so difficult to know the answer yet.... but there is no leakage underneath the car or further up around the engine. I will check once I get in back on the road again but meanwhile if there is anything else that I should look out for, I would appreciate your advice... 

Item 59 here, would be good to check, makes balancing the throttle bodies easier without have play here,  they do disappear with the heat from the manifold,    https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/fuel-system-induction-controls/engine-controls/accelerator-pedal-fittings-tr5-6-1967-76.html

John

1 hour ago, Bahman said:

HI Mike

I have had the car for a month and have done little driving so far... so difficult to know the answer yet.... but there is no leakage underneath the car or further up around the engine. I will check once I get in back on the road again but meanwhile if there is anything else that I should look out for, I would appreciate your advice... 

I'd check the cylinder compressions- piston blowby leakage will force excess crankcase gas into the inlet system through the black hose connecting the valve cover to the inlet header in the above photo- giving the oil stains on the butterflies. Piston blowby generally goes hand in hand with high oil consumption.

Edited by Mike C

I agree with Mike C, but unless you want another thing to worry about ....

A quick check is to open the oil filler cap while th engine runs and is warmed up.     A gentle breeze outwards is normal - no set of piston rings give a perfect seal.    A mighty wind indicates serious blow-by!

Also agree that the staining on the middle throttle butterflys is probably from crankcase blow-by and the oil vapour it carries.      You might consider fitting a catch-can, diverting the hose from the rocker cover to that and then exhausting it to the inlet plenum tube.      Or to atmosphere!

Several threads about this here, EG: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/74725-crank-case-breather/

John

Thanks John and Mike.... once I get the car back up and working in a weeks time, will carry out some of the checks that I am able to do.... and will provide further update. However, when I took out the air manifold housing, and looked inside it....there were residues of oil and dirt stuck to the inner walls.  

• Bahman changed the title to TR6 PI Manifold Centre Inlet

Hi all

A few results from testing the car today.

Test condition: Maifold air intake and hoses  removed, the old flame trap still connected(a new one due tomorrow) to the rocker head hose but the output blows out to the atmosphere

Had the engine running for about 10 minutes, and with the choke pushed in after 3-4 minutes

1.       Adjusted the metering airflow so the engine idles around 800rpm

2.       oil pressure around 55LB

3.       There is heart beat on each injector cable, not sure how best to test these but by holding each cable for a few seconds, I get the feeling they are working

4.        Using an air flow meter, I measured each air inlet.   The readings in kg/h were as follows:

a.       Number one, around 1

b.      Number two, just over 1.2

c.       Number three, around 0.8

d.      Numbers 4,6, and 6 just under 1

5.       The output of flame trap....light smoke flows out continuously

6.       Removed the rocker head cap....no oil spitting but light smoke flows out   

Not sure what problem you are looking to find.  My throttle bodies look very similar to yours and have the same oily residue you describe in the plenum. The car uses no oil between services and drives really well. 

I’d suggest just driving and enjoying the car as it is and fixing things that become clear as needing attention after driving rather than looking for problems without driving.   

These cars are from a different era.  You can’t really tell a great deal unless you drive the car.  Get it on the road whilst the summer is still here !

Bahman, results from the test look good.  I'd recommend putting a few miles on it and see what issues surface.  

I wouldn't try and clean out the intake butterfly crud, you'll likely compromise the air seal that the residue is providing.  

Enjoy.