TR5 rebuild started

On 12/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, stuart said:

For the body mounting as youve had a TR Shop voucher for Christmas Dave I would use some of it to buy their body mounting kit as it contains all the right size bolts nuts washers and plates as well as all the rubbers/spacers that you need to mount it properly. I use them al the time plus I have a slave set that I use for the "In build" time that will get covered in Bondarust so when I do the final build its all with nice clean bolts/nuts/washers etc.

Stuart.

+ 1 For the TRShop body mounting kit, everything you need in a nice package, almost (but not quite) building by numbers!!

Cheers Rob

Happy New Year everyone

TR shop body mount kit on the list

never used anything other than std kit and during strip down after 40 years seemed ok

so do i go poly for the rebuild (this will be a road car not hammered)

is it just hype so someone makes money whats wrong with std

not bitching just interested what do i gain my days of taking roundabouts at 60+mph (beat the 2.8 capri) are well gone

posted in the General Technical section also

thanks

David

Indeed,

don’t buy the cheap items, I did buy a set of black bushes from TR-shop, the have more play than the rubber items.

Waldi

I wasn't impressed by the TR Shop body mounting kit. Most of the set screws were far too long and the long bolts through the 2 front sloping turret braces were set screws threaded full length instead of part threaded bolts. I also had to buy extra rubber pads, thick and thin, just to fit the minimum as shown on the diagram. Ended up buying new set screws of suitable length from my local Nut and Bolt supplier..

Dave McD 

Thanks guys think i have the bushes sorted (recommended source) not ready for the body kit yet will report when i get there

god its amazing after 28 years off the road and 10 years after messing with a 6 what you forget

looking at brake calipers now, its bloody never ending

i thought i had some but in the last move think they went to the tip as you can buy new (looked everywhere cannot find them)

TR shop show new at £159 and Moss at £69 !!!! remanufactured TRGB show £132 exchange

i want them to be as original so are the new ones from TR shop as original they look right on the page Moss page shows a picture which looks slightly different

i know you should never throw anything out but then i should have bought all the stanpart stuff back in the eighties but you never think that way at the time

apologies for being a pain

David

Thanks guys think i have the bushes sorted (recommended source) not ready for the body kit yet will report when i get there

god its amazing after 28 years off the road and 10 years after messing with a 6 what you forget

looking at brake calipers now, its bloody never ending

i thought i had some but in the last move think they went to the tip as you can buy new (looked everywhere cannot find them)

TR shop show new at £159 and Moss at £69 !!!! remanufactured TRGB show £132 exchange

i want them to be as original so are the new ones from TR shop as original they look right on the page Moss page shows a picture which looks slightly different

i know you should never throw anything out but then i should have bought all the stanpart stuff back in the eighties but you never think that way at the time

apologies for being a pain

David

Hi

a bit of history instead of me asking where to get things

done a spreadsheet and sent it off to see what prices i would get, the company asked for the chassis number and year to ensure the correct parts (dont worry i have known the guy for years and its one of the major suppliers)

got the log book and its states first registered in 1969 however just noticed the date is stamped 1972 which was 3 years 10 months when the first name appeared did it take this long to sell it ?????

what do you think

David

16 hours ago, dblenk said:

Hi

a bit of history instead of me asking where to get things

done a spreadsheet and sent it off to see what prices i would get, the company asked for the chassis number and year to ensure the correct parts (dont worry i have known the guy for years and its one of the major suppliers)

got the log book and its states first registered in 1969 however just noticed the date is stamped 1972 which was 3 years 10 months when the first name appeared did it take this long to sell it ?????

what do you think

David

Quite possible as the TR6 was out by then so previous models sat around and were often sold later at a discount, it may have also been retained as a demonstrator. My previous 4a thats just been discussed on the Where are they now section wasnt registered until 6mths after the end of their production run.

Stuart.

When I collected my re furbished ones from them in 2019 I mentioned I was using Silicon Fluid they told me then their seals were not compatible so I replaced them with ones from Revington that were, I suggest you call Big Red and seek their advice 

Cheers Chris 

• 5 months later...

Well after work and other things getting in the way (wembley etc) the chassis is back and the bits

i am months behind but hey no rush really

need to order all the new parts now and start building

it looks very shiney thought the original finish was a bit more dull

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

So got prices etc for springs and it was suggested to go for new fangle dangle springs with silicon ? in them etc

Talking to the lads i was asked whats wrong with what was fitted if they were std

i am looking for std not uprated or raised or lowered, so good question

Front springs are easy been there since the start 1969

Rear over the years i have changed things in my TR6 rebuilds over the years so i have three sets

How do i identify the rears whats the diameter of the bar, diameter of the spring, how many coils, and height of the spring

one set has white paint on them 7 coils 12mm bar and 10 1/4" high free length

another set 8 coils 12mm bar and 10 3/4" high free length

another 9 coils 12mm bar and 11 1/2" high free length

anyone able to point me to something

thanks

david

• 1 year later...

I cant believe its been this long since i posted

The 5 chassis is now progressing and hope to have 4 wheels on by the end of this year now i have time off

a little TR6 got in the way but it seems to be nearly sorted now

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all

regards

David

suspension 22-12-23.jpg

13.jpg