TR5 rebuild started

Chassis all stripped ready for shotblasting had a good look some weird things going on with the trailing arm legs and the front diff mount now bolted in how they did that without taking all the body off

i checked the body no welding so they didnt go in from the top

see what i am left with after blasting and i can report better

cheers

david

one side king pin and trunnion sorted think i replaced it in 86 so wasnt there long the drivers side i think is 1969

had to put heat and a grinder and a press to get the trunnion bush/bolt out, threads look **** so new trunnion and king pin however thought i could use the stub axle

is it moving no way put a puller on nowt not a sausage

so ran out of tools etc smacked it hard with a copper and hide also still nothing

any suggestions to get the thing out its only £21 for a new one anyway

cheers

david

To free the corroded bolt from my TR6 trunnions I left them soaking for several days with penetrating oil, and then was able to free them by hitting them front and then rear etc etc, with some turning of the bolt and again some penetration oil.

But this is only worth the effort if the trunnions are sound (no excessive play on the king pin), otherwise a narrow grinder disk is your best friend.

Cheers,
Waldi

11 hours ago, dblenk said:

cheers Waldi trunnions are off now its the stub axle that seems to be stuck now

david

Fit a new one Dave its easier if your going for new trunnion and upright.

Stuart.

on this forum again

rebuilding is much harder than bodging things to keep it running hahahaha

anyway little black plugs that go in the front lower suspension arms i have kept mine as didnt see them listed on the moss diagram however i only have three

any thoughts

david

19 minutes ago, dblenk said:

on this forum again

rebuilding is much harder than bodging things to keep it running hahahaha

anyway little black plugs that go in the front lower suspension arms i have kept mine as didnt see them listed on the moss diagram however i only have three

any thoughts

david

Theyve been unavailable forever Dave. Some hydraulic/brake fittings use similar plugs.

Stuart.

Hi Dave,

I missed a couple too, but found that some of the plugs I had to plug the holes for a chassis rail wax(ML) treatment fitted wel.

Waldi

15 hours ago, Kenrow said:

To bad I'm in California, I just picked up a 1000 of these for $10 US. If you need some and in the US let me know...

IMG_0723.jpg

Maybe a good idea to sell them to Moss they can ship them back to the UK then we can all get them.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

HI All

been manic with work so havent had time for anything

bit of an update had chassis blasted was worse than i thought with previous repairs using braze and proof the body has been off to do some of them so pre 1984

anyway got another chassis yesterday so need to get that blasted will post pics later

havent started the body tub repairs but xmas hols coming up and the work contract needs to be complete by 17th so hope to make some progress

cheers David

I hope the other chassis is better indeed David, this one looks really bad.

The little holes indicate there is quite some metal-loss in that area.

Waldi

Edited by Waldi
typo

I thought I had problems, just the area under the T shirt panels, the rest seems very sound thanks to very heavy Ziebart application.

I think yours has not faired well at all.

IMG_0856.jpeg

Hi David,

I am very much enjoying the progress of your TR5 restoration. However, on seeing your recent photos of the chassis that show very questionable repairs, I am pleased that when my TR5 was restored 20 years ago it was fitted with a new CTM chassis! I am also pleased that I avoided several cars in my search for a TR5 that most probably would have had the same sort of repairs to the chassis. 
Regards,

Denis

• 2 weeks later...

Denis

glad you enjoy the photos the repairs also show the bodu has been off at some point so not quite sure what has been done i think everything is original in some shape or form

hopefully get some more photos on but the iphone dosent let me drag and paste anymore due to an upddate i have to use the cloud

starting after xmas on the new chassis

david

Hi All

looking at sourcing the bolts for the chassis and a local supplier i use for work charges 20p etc so was going to give him a list and get them cheap all coated aswell

not sure where i saw a list of what the bolts were and length and where they are fitted ??? thought it was in the old manual i had but cant find it

any ideas or give him a bag of old ones let him sort it

david

Hi David,

I have a paper copy of the Moss catalogue in my shed, the bolts are numbered with a logic table which you can find in the back of it.

Most bolts are “3 stripe” , I ordered a lot from a good supplier in the UK (Namrick) once I knew what I needed.

Waldi

Hi David,

Thanks for reply. I look forward to seeing more photos when you start on the new chassis. Not long after I bought my car in 2019, I thought that it would be handy to have a set of UNF nuts, bolts, screws and washers available. I bought a set from this company and I have used them several times:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR5-TR6-TR7-UNF-NUT-BOLT-WASHER-SET-HIGH-TENSILE-ZINC-QTY-350-/372188143369?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQiAq7COBhC2ARIsANsPATEJX3EoljU8F6jj85iUrwKbyPIhZn3IWJcbtt552bL0EM3TVIgEruAaAsQoEALw_wcB

The fasteners are good quality and zinc plated. As the advertisement states this is not a complete restoration set, but I have found having them to hand useful when replacing rusted fasteners. 

All the best,

Denis

For the body mounting as youve had a TR Shop voucher for Christmas Dave I would use some of it to buy their body mounting kit as it contains all the right size bolts nuts washers and plates as well as all the rubbers/spacers that you need to mount it properly. I use them al the time plus I have a slave set that I use for the "In build" time that will get covered in Bondarust so when I do the final build its all with nice clean bolts/nuts/washers etc.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart