Sytec fuel pump conversion

14 hours ago, Duncan Cowan said:

Does anyone know where to source the red plastic tube on the Sytec fuel pump conversion in the photo attached? 

IMG_2637.thumb.jpg.18e4c0adc1dcdbf060fef460fd4e1a8c.jpg

Ask Glencoe in Staines as they are a supplier to the 2.5 Saloon boys and do all the pipework and fittings/ filters, plus Sytec pumps etc.

Bruce.

I've just replaced the filter in my set up and took the opportunity to add a fuel tap and change to banjo connections so it looks exactly like yours at this junction. I used Cohline 2240 ethanol-proof hose and secured it with two Unex hose clamps.

Cheers, Richard

1 hour ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

I've just replaced the filter in my set up and took the opportunity to add a fuel tap and change to banjo connections so it looks exactly like yours at this junction. I used Cohline 2240 ethanol-proof hose and secured it with two Unex hose clamps.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard, could I ask what type of fuel tap you fitted. 

Many thanks,

Duncan

Hi Duncan. I fitted this one off Ebay. The 1/4" BSP threading meant I could have a banjo to facilitate a right angle inlet from the tank (this is a Spitfire with PI, by the way) and a BSP to metric nipple fitting to connect directly to the filter inlet. Another key feature is the seller stated a 10mm bore when the ball valve is open. I had seen another valve which had a weedy 6mm bore which I felt wasn't nearly enough. Now I can isolate the tank if I need to do any work, which hopefully I won't because I've changed all the perishing hose to ethanol safe.

Cheers, Richard

s-l500.jpg

21 hours ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Hi Duncan. I fitted this one off Ebay. The 1/4" BSP threading meant I could have a banjo to facilitate a right angle inlet from the tank (this is a Spitfire with PI, by the way) and a BSP to metric nipple fitting to connect directly to the filter inlet. Another key feature is the seller stated a 10mm bore when the ball valve is open. I had seen another valve which had a weedy 6mm bore which I felt wasn't nearly enough. Now I can isolate the tank if I need to do any work, which hopefully I won't because I've changed all the perishing hose to ethanol safe.

Cheers, Richard

s-l500.jpg

Thanks Richard

It looks to be similar to the ones Prestige supplied.

The link has to have some flexibility (in the nylon pipe in this case) so a rigid pipe would likely crack eventually.

Some of the nylon ones sometimes weep eventually as they are an interference fit.

Getting a braided hose assembled in this length is tricky. High pressure rubber fuel line with double jubilee clips works for some.

14 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

It looks to be similar to the ones Prestige supplied.

The link has to have some flexibility (in the nylon pipe in this case) so a rigid pipe would likely crack eventually.

Some of the nylon ones sometimes weep eventually as they are an interference fit.

Getting a braided hose assembled in this length is tricky. High pressure rubber fuel line with double jubilee clips works for some.

The nylon tube s/b secured by the use of Oetiker clips as BL did on the return nylon fuel hose on M/U to steel pipe on post 72 cars?

Bruce.

27 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

The return pipe (from the MU) isn't at 100-105 psi but I agree the double jubilee clips works for me.  (Wait to be shot down for heresy for deviating from the norm.)

I know that but Oetiker clips are used on HP applications in many areas in the industrial world and are well suited to nylon tubing i.e. air lines of 150 psi. and my fuel pressure test kit!

Bruce.