I received a letter this morning, issued on behalf of the Mayor of London by DVLA.

It tells me that the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) is being expanded as far as the North and South Circular Roads, although neither of these roads is to be included in the expanded zone.

This is exciting news, as the letter is addressed to me as owner of 4VC, a TR4.  However, I am a resident of Thame and the last place I would wish to take this car (in fact, any car) would be into the Big Smoke.

I take it that all the pollution being produced within this zone either rises vertically to the stratosphere, or is blown outwards so as to infect those of us who live beyond these two roads.

My Citroen C5 is a diesel, registered in 2008, and now I am wondering whether I shall receive another such letter. 

Ian Cornish

Aren’t historic vehicle exempt from ULEZ ?

Yes, historic vehicles are exempt. My TR is fine but my 20 year old Porsche has had to be sold recently.

And the residents of London are paying one way or another for the whole ULEZ extension whether for its implementation or by having to sell 'non-compliant' vehicles, many of which people were encouraged to buy by the Government's endorsement of diesel vehicles. Capita is being paid £355m to run the scheme...

Miles

Unfortunately historic vehicles are exempt from ULEZ charges but not the congestion charge, which is 7 days a week..

Used to enjoy an occasional Sunday afternoon drive around Central London in the TR but I refuse to pay the charge.

Nigel

Nigel,

Yes that is the purpose of the charge, to deter cars in the centre. Then it will be extended to areas with high pollution levels. You will be allowed to drive your car, it will be that you just cannot justify the expense.

Alan

On 7/31/2021 at 7:11 PM, ianc said:

Probably - but who is paying for this paper exercise?

The Mayor of London, one would hope.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT