Tr3a Crankshaft Sludge Plug Removal

I am trying to remove the sludge plugs from my crankshaft.  They appear to be original as this crank has never been turned or balanced.  The plugs have 1/4" internal hex keys.  I have tried moderate heating with a MAP torch and then tried turning one with a device that I attach to my rivet gun.  It allows me to hammer and turn at the same time.  Alas, no luck.  My next thought is more heat, but in a more specific area by using my oxy torch.  

Anyone willing to share their experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Baker

Hi Steve,

leave them alone. They are not sludge plugs. They close off the oil gallery between main and big end journal.

Whatever mysterious muck is in there will be going nowhere.

I really is not a good move to get them out.

Roger

PS - welcome to the forum

Edited by RogerH

I hate disagree with Roger, but I have always had them removed if the crank is in for “work” …….I had a few bad experiences when not doing this 40 years ago, whether it was **** in there I’ll  never know, but certainly **** ruined the bearings. I’ve not had the issues since.

Iain

Hi Iain,

your experience is not good for sure.

However, although the  'sludge plug' is on a dog leg it can  just about be cleaned without removal.

Also, how does any swarf (unlikely) or grinding particles get there. During grinding the crank is flooded with filtered coolant/lubricant. 

But, if in doubt take them out.

Roger

I asked the machine shop to remove them and clean the crank when they were balancing and grinding the crank. I also specifically asked them to confirm that they Loctited the new ones when they replaced them. 

Rgds Ian

Steve,

You have a PM with information.

Mick Richards

Hi Folks,

the oil gallery holes in the crank are 1/4" diameter.

This is big enough to insert a 3/16  pipe (copper works well) that has the end truncated so that it diverts the cleaning fluid 45' into the very short dog leg.

The dog leg is 1/4 to 5/16" deep

Any muck will easily drain out of the cross drilled holes.

Give it a try

Roger