Hi all, I am rebuilding an early TR4 with the early front suspension setup, when I bought the "project" it did not have the front brake calipers, no problem I thought I have a spare pair of 16Ps :). Having refurbished them I attempted to install them today :wacko: they don't fit ! the dimension from the bolt holes to where they sit above the disc edge is too small !  I assume that the mounting setup is for an earlier B type caliper does this have a bigger dimension ? Frustrating but a good excuse for a calming beer :)

Regards

Ron

So you have 16 p caliper  fitted and the disc outer edge rubs the inside of the caliper.  Are your discs 11” diameter?
From that I would say your discs are too large a diameter.  TR4 had two different diameter of disc fitted and it changed with caliper and caliper mounting bracket.
Sounds like you just need to fit the smaller diameter disc from later TR4 through to TR6  These discs are 10 13/16” diameter.  Or get your current discs diameter machined down to suit.

See item 65 here   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/brake-system/front-brakes/front-brakes-tr2-4a.html#65

Cheers

Peter W

I’m confused.

Can you post a photo of your caliper mounting brackets please.

This is the bracket for the smaller disc with 16 P caliper  note it is rounded  not scalloped.

img_5044-jpg.63022

This is the brackets for the bigger disc and B type caliper.

image.thumb.jpeg.6a5b9bd2c4d43cd7cdf2881c36211084.jpeg

Yes the later style brackets should be used with the smaller diameter disc and 16P caliper.

Slight drift here…..Are the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket a snug fit in the calipers?    These bolts got to be a bigger shank diameter after 1973 when the ‘metric’ caliper was introduced.  The thread size in the brackets never changed from TR3 through TR6.

Peter W