Gear lever gaitor

After replacing my gear lever gaitor thingy I noticed that the change became much stiffer. I changed it only because after less than 18 months the damned thing had perished.seemed to make the gear selection more difficult. I refitted the original one and things are much easier now.

I further noticed that the gaitor is much thicker than the original which makes for a stiff gear change as the gear lever does not move freely.

Anyone know where to get a replacement that is supple and lasts more than a season..

Rod

Where has your original split?

My original split where the stick came through so I have fashioned an upside down gaiter the go round stick and go over split bit of the original gaiter.

I used a cut down dip stick gaiter from a MGB.  Pt no 1B1735

https://mgbhive.co.uk/product/1b1735-mgb-engine-dipstick-boot/

image.thumb.jpeg.e39869aeb12c255690399c4236944b7e.jpeg

Hi Peter,

That's exactly where mine split, on the columnar section on the actual gear lever. Your solution has a singular beauty to it but mine more rough and ready using about 1" of heatshrink slipped over the split section which seems to work.

The repro one was stopping me from engaging reverse it was so thick.

I notice that there are two types sold as replacements  one sort of tubular and what is nearer being original being a cone shape.

Will try David Manners for a change as his looks close but depends how thick.

Rod

1 minute ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Peter,

That's exactly where mine split, on the columnar section on the actual gear lever. Your solution has a singular beauty to it but mine more rough and ready using about 1" of heatshrink slipped over the split section which seems to work.

The repro one was stopping me from engaging reverse it was so thick.

I notice that there are two types sold as replacements  one sort of tubular and what is nearer being original being a cone shape.

Will try David Manners for a change as his looks close but depends how thick.

Rod

Manners one may well come from Roadster Factory,

Moss one was UK made but probably not now.

Peter W