Headlamp bowls and inner wings

An intriguing query:  I'm having to replace one of the headlamp bowls of my TR2 (TS5288) that was fitted with a steel TR3A apron by a PO goodness knows when. Unfortunately there are no depressions in the inner wings to accommodate the headlamps. I have no option but to beat a dent in the replacement bowl similar to the depression in the bowl I'm replacing. I was under the impression that early cars weren't depressed (perhaps only the owners!) but I know that TS5969 had inner wing depressions. As far as I can see no work has been carried out on the inner wings. So, are my inner wings unusual or is it the case that early cars didn't have depressions and at some TS number after TS5288 depressions were introduced?

I'm most interested hear your learned explanations.

Rod

Your shell is correct.  No depressions in the inner front wings for the head lamp buckets. A TR2 with the depressions has either had replacement inner front wings or has had them 'dressed' in....or it's a ringer.

TR3A onwards has the depressions in their inner front wings as original.  The apron lamp pods of the 3A apron, as you have noticed, are further rearwards and require the extra clearance.

Which headlamp buckets are you fitting?  original spring loaded 3 adjuster type of later 2 adjuster type with inner bucket and single spring attached to the inner  rear surface of the outer ?  Easier might be to use plastic buckets from a Land Rover and take the hack saw to them.  https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/ghb100-headlamp-bucket-complete-plastic.html

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Rod, I've had a few TR2s over the years.None of them had any indents in the inner wings for

headlamp bowls.They simply don't need them with a TR2 or earlier TR3 as the original front

apron sets the headlamps clear of the inner wings.

Had you considered flogging the 3a front apron and get hold of a TR2/3 apron, killing 2 birds

with 1 stone so to speak?

Good luck

Roger M-E 

2 minutes ago, iain said:

Peter beat me to it. Likewise the indicators need clearance as well when using the 3a apron.

Iain

oops  Forgot the indicator issue - TR2/3 has a big hole cut through the inner front wing to accommodate the indicator lamp body - TR3A inner front wings have dished scallop. .  The body of the indicator lamp was shortened on TR3A, hence flat lens on TR2/3 and domed beehive lens on TR3A (to clear the protruding bulb)

As Roger says - Buy a TR2/3 apron and kill two birds with one stone.

Peter W

Thank you gentlemen, I agree that exchanging the 3A apron for a 2 apron is an attractive solution but may be ill-affordable and at 78 I think I'm a bit long in the tooth to take it on. I may have a go at the Land Rover bucket though. I'm a dab hand with a hack saw!

Rod