Start up problems

Hi

Just rebuilt 4a can't get engine to fire. 

Tdc on compression done good spark on all plugs firing order 1342, both fuel bowls on SU's have fuel, when put finger in main bodys feel wet with fuel. When turn car over on new battery nothing after 10 15 second crank. Tried start spray into  still no fire all gaps on points and plugs good brand new. Rotary arm pointing at number 1 cylinder 

Funnily tried first thing there was a slight cough on initial turn of key from cold Then nothing, 

Run out of ideas 

From bitter experience……

1.  Are you absolutely sure that when the rotor arm is pointing at no1 plug the no1 cylinder is on its firing stroke. Ie no4 valves are ‘rocking’

2 The spark is happening at or up to  4 degrees before TDC. On no1   Check crank pulley timing mark against piston in bore position.

3 Fill the engine cooling system with hot water to warm the block.

4 Heat  the spark plugs with a blow lamp and refit.

Now try.   Full choke to start.  Feed in as soon as it fires.

Next option is shew it the tow rope and a grubby euro box to drag it.

Peter W

Hi cheers 

I have no marks on pully so put paper plug into number 1 turned over slowly by hand plug poped out under compression. Then placed brass rod in number one and v slowly rotated untill vertical movement stopped marked pulley as Tdc. The router arm points slightly back from number 1 but not directly at it. 

How long has the fuel been sitting in the tank?

Unlike the good old leaded fuel of earlier times, modern fuels degrade all too rapidly.

Might be worth draining most of the fuel and putting a couple of gallons of Esso or Shell 99 octane in the tank.

I am finding that, even when I prime the carburettors using the lever on the pump, my TR4 no longer fires immediately if it has been unused for a week - it can take about 25-30 seconds to fire up a couple of cylinders, then a few more seconds to clear its throat and fire on all four.   Later in the day, it will start immediately, even if cold (I use some choke).

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, ianc said:

How long has the fuel been sitting in the tank?

Unlike the good old leaded fuel of earlier times, modern fuels degrade all too rapidly.

Might be worth draining most of the fuel and putting a couple of gallons of Esso or Shell 99 octane in the tank.

I am finding that, even when I prime the carburettors using the lever on the pump, my TR4 no longer fires immediately if it has been unused for a week - it can take about 25-30 seconds to fire up a couple of cylinders, then a few more seconds to clear its throat and fire on all four.   Later in the day, it will start immediately, even if cold (I use some choke).

Ian Cornish

I have the same starting issues Ian on my car.  I always prime the carbs with the manual lift pump lever.

Peter W