Hi Folks,

has anybody dabbled with casting aluminium.

I want to make some small items  - apprx 2" x1" x 1"   and I think If i cast the basic shape it would reduce the machining time and effort.

What is used for the mould etc etc etc

Roger

Hi Roger 
If I remember correctly, when I did it at school some 50 years ago we used casting sand. 2 halves put together and then poured the molten aluminium in through a hole.

You can buy casting sand and other stuff for casting on Ebay: always fancied trying to cast something but never have apart from lead fishing weights when I was younger (still got the old saucepan that we used but wouldn't fancy melting lead nowadays), and aluminium casting a screwdriver handle at school.

Hi Roger.

I have completed many aluminium, and bronze  projects in the past. For the patterns I have used a variety of materials, plastic, wood, steel, aluminium, and latterly 3D printed plastic patterns. 

I have never cast aluminium myself at home. I have always had concerns with regard to temperature, type of material, porosity, de gassing, etc.

I have seen first hand your other projects, and I  wish you well with this one, Im sure you will succeed.

Russell

Roger--

I did it years ago, and have been gearing up recently to begin doing it again.

Plenty of YouTube videos on the processes, but watch at least a few, since there are some really bad ones.

Most people use green sand these days, or a commercial product called Petrobond.  Molds are commonly a 2-part cope/drag.

Ed