Interesting clutch problem

Getting the car out of the garage after not driving it for a couple of months I depressed the clutch before starting the engine. Aftera little churning it started. I released the clutch pedal and warmed the engine up. But when I tred to repress the clutch again the pedal was solid, would not travel down at all. I have checked under the car and i can see that the slave cylinder is fully extended and the clutch release arm has compressed the springs bearing on the clutch plate. In fact I can put the car in gear and start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal. So the clutch system is now locked solid . Somehow I have effectively pushed out the piston in the slave cylinder and then managed to suck in more oil into the master cylinder as the pedal came back up.

How could this happen? I suppose I can release it by releasing the bleed screw when I'll get doused in hydraulic oil escaping.

Or is there a better way? I suppose I'll need a new master cylinder ( actually the seal at the bottom). HAs anyone had this problem?

In hope of a better answer,

Jock

16 hours ago, jocklow@aol.com said:

Getting the car out of the garage after not driving it for a couple of months I depressed the clutch before starting the engine. Aftera little churning it started. I released the clutch pedal and warmed the engine up. But when I tred to repress the clutch again the pedal was solid, would not travel down at all. I have checked under the car and i can see that the slave cylinder is fully extended and the clutch release arm has compressed the springs bearing on the clutch plate. In fact I can put the car in gear and start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal. So the clutch system is now locked solid . Somehow I have effectively pushed out the piston in the slave cylinder and then managed to suck in more oil into the master cylinder as the pedal came back up.

How could this happen? I suppose I can release it by releasing the bleed screw when I'll get doused in hydraulic oil escaping.

Or is there a better way? I suppose I'll need a new master cylinder ( actually the seal at the bottom). HAs anyone had this problem?

In hope of a better answer,

Jock

Something similar happened to me, not on the TR, but on my Austin van. The pushrod was not long enough and the slave cylinder piston had been operating right at the end of the bore. On this occasion it had actualy popped out and jammed accompanied by lots of brake fluid on the floor.

I would suspect that the slave cylinder has corroded inside causing the piston to stick in the bore, then, as you say, when you released the pedal the master cylinder has sucked in more fluid. Releasing the bleed screw may not help, because if the piston is pushed back in the fluid should return to the reservoir anyway, far less messy.

Ralph

I loosened the bleed screw, only the barest trickle came out. I then tapped the clutch release lever with a hammer and it moved smoothly back. Clutch works perfectly.

I think the slave cylinder had jammed. When the pedal is fully depressed and the clutch release lever fully rotated the actuator rod betwen them is at a rather nasty angle to the cylinder.  I'm going to move the actuator to the hole on the end of the release lever to reduce the the throw on the clutch. I don't need all the disengagement that I'm getting at present.

Thanks anyway.

Jock

16 hours ago, jocklow@aol.com said:

I loosened the bleed screw, only the barest trickle came out. I then tapped the clutch release lever with a hammer and it moved smoothly back. Clutch works perfectly.

I think the slave cylinder had jammed. When the pedal is fully depressed and the clutch release lever fully rotated the actuator rod betwen them is at a rather nasty angle to the cylinder.  I'm going to move the actuator to the hole on the end of the release lever to reduce the the throw on the clutch. I don't need all the disengagement that I'm getting at present.

Thanks anyway.

Jock

Moving the actuator to the end hole reduces the throw on the clutch release bearing but increases the movement neccessary on the slave cylinder piston. Do you have an adjustable pushrod?, might be better to lengthen that if you have one. 

Also, is the slave cylinder on the correct side of the mounting bracket?

Ralph.