A new old BRSCC 1963 film from the archives

I have added another of dads films for you to reminisce to

its seems even more corny, than the last, if that’s possible 

can you believe I had to jump through so many hoops to get it out there as people had claimed copyright cheeky devils !!! 

Dunno about corny. Most of the commentary was snappy enough and the Minis and Ford Anglias! The offs, skidding and clusters of cars racing too close for comfort, as well as the clothes, the colours and people. Lot of filming and editing! Nice.

Excellent, real period stuff with everyone trying very hard...!!!

It was interesting to note that in the second to last race a certain "Roy - The Weasel - James" won the race in car number 3.

Not sure of the actual date of this meeting, however as the Great Train Robbery took place on the 8th August 1963 it was possibly his last chance to practice his driving skills before that event.

He was arrested in December 1963 and had an enforced a holiday at Her Majesty's Pleasure until 1975.

Regards, Richard

Brilliant Hamish and thanks for putting up!

Great stuff Hamish. Think I spotted at least one Rochdale Olympic in action.

Why are the mini's described as "Mini S" and not Cooper? Did Cooper come along later or did they not pick up the Cooper tag straight away?

Jerry

John Cooper started modifying mini's soon after they were produced & became very

successful in saloon car racing. Austin/Morris decided there was a market to produce

their own tuned version & I believe John Cooper sold the rites of using his name for

a few hundred pounds ( he is probably turning in his grave now ). The 'S' was added

latter to the competition versions. 

Harvey

Reminded me of the days when I used to marshal for the 750 Motor Club, which provided in its 750 and 1172 formulae, the least expensive forms of serious motor sport.

Good fun, damned cold at times (especially at Silverstone, which was so flat and open), and pretty minimal protection for pit crews and spectators.

Cornering by Minis always spectacular as they understeered like mad and hence burned a lot of rubber!

Nostalgia - what a great medicine!

Thanks, Hamish - much enjoyed.

Ian Cornish