3 hours ago, NCS_TR3A said:

Ralph, 

Way off topic, but what did you think of the Morgan tour. I've never done it but it does interest me and interested to get your opinion for the tour. 

Neil

PS not planning to sell the TR3A and switching to Morgan :)

My wife and I did the Morgan factory tour in 2013. It was a fantastic day.

Afterwards I spent months trying to figure out how to buy one and avoid both VAT and our GST, only to find the architects of both schemes had talked to each other and you can't avoid both.

I know why the Morgan production rate is so low, the workers spend half their time talking with the enthusiasts on the tour.

11 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Strictly speaking, you don't even really need a pressure regulator with SUs. My previous TR, a 2 with a TR4 engine, distributor and HS6s, didn't.

David

If you have an original pump putting out the correct 1.25 to 2.5 psi you don`t need a regulator as you say, my problem was the 5.5psi coming from the aftermarket pump.

Ralph

13 hours ago, NCS_TR3A said:

Hi Ralph, 

Mine is presently running well but I recognise the symptoms you have described. I'm not sure how I fixed mine (it might be a different pump) and think I will test the fuel presssure. Out of interest what fuel regulator have you used and were have you placed it. 

Thanks, 

Neil

11 hours ago, NCS_TR3A said:

Ralph, 

Way off topic, but what did you think of the Morgan tour. I've never done it but it does interest me and interested to get your opinion for the tour. 

Neil

PS not planning to sell the TR3A and switching to Morgan :)

Hi Neil, I placed the regulator right next to the carb, I was able to bend my copper fuel pipe enough to fit it without having to cut the pipe. See photo.

I looked at various ones, but some are quite large and would really need to be fixed to the inner wing with consequent re plumbing, so went for the smallest I could find. It came as a kit with 2 different sized adapters to fit to the body and 4 short bits of fuel pipe {2 of each size) and 8 spring type hose clamps, all for under £20.

I checked it for pressure and found the markings on the regulator to be fairly accurate, set mine to 1.5 psi.

The Morgan tour was interesting, but probably not for the reasons you expect. Any visions of craftsmen hand making the cars is to some extent not true now, and it is more assembly of bought in components. As examples, the chassis are now bonded alloy complete tubs, inner wings, bulkheads,  floors and sill structures, all made elsewhere and bought in. Same goes for the front and rear wings which are pressure formed at another factory and bought in. Wood is still used for the body tub, all cnc milled, and the doors, bonnet, front rad shroud, etc are still hand made on site, so craftsmen are still employed.

The new owners have increased production to get the waiting list down from 8 years to only 1, mainly by sourcing more bought in parts, although at the moment they are running at one third of normal rate with a lot of the staff furlowed due to shortages of parts in the supply chain.

They have a small museum area with some original JAP powered three wheelers, an early +4 Ford powered 3 wheeler, and a replica of the first ever Morgan 3 wheeler.

Would I buy one?    good question.  Not one of the new ones unless my premium bonds came good, the modern BMW engines are far too complicated for my tastes, so many pipes and wires you cannot even see the engine.  I liked a 25 year old +4 with only 16000 miles on it for £40k, my daughter preferred the V8 squint eyed one for £240k, and would have driven the Aeroline home if she could have stumped up the £450k.

Ralph

20210806_075632.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

I notice that you have a small piece of 15mm copper pipe in your heater connection. 

The valve on my heater never closes completely, even when i ram it home inside the engine compartment.  To stop the bleed of hot water, which raised the cabin temperature in the summer to inferno level, I inserted a tap of the type used by plumbers to cut off water supply to taps, into that heater line.  It has a small handle, so no need for screwdriver to operate it.  Makes the cabin temperature more bearable in summer.

Ian Cornish

4 minutes ago, ianc said:

I notice that you have a small piece of 15mm copper pipe in your heater connection. 

The valve on my heater never closes completely, even when i ram it home inside the engine compartment.  To stop the bleed of hot water, which raised the cabin temperature in the summer to inferno level, I inserted a tap of the type used by plumbers to cut off water supply to taps, into that heater line.  It has a small handle, so no need for screwdriver to operate it.  Makes the cabin temperature more bearable in summer.

Ian Cornish

Yes, decided to fit the TR4 heater valve and had to cut and extend the heater pipe on that side. As you say it does not completely shut off when the control knob is pushed fully home, but it will if it is moved by hand under the bonnet. It does however reduce the heat output to luke warm so not too bad. I think more heat comes from the gearbox cover,  despite half an inch of wool underlay under the carpet on a longish run it manages to permeate through.

Ralph

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

If you have an original pump putting out the correct 1.25 to 2.5 psi you don`t need a regulator as you say, my problem was the 5.5psi coming from the aftermarket pump.

Ralph

Spot on! I understand (long last).

David

As a complete aside to this thread, on the photo below of my engine bay you can clearly see the Lucas battery.  At a recent car show an ex Lucas employee came up to me and asked me if I knew what the arrow like symbol on the right of the label was supposed to represent.

I got it wrong.

Anyone out there know ??

20210806_075632.jpg

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi Neil, I placed the regulator right next to the carb, I was able to bend my copper fuel pipe enough to fit it without having to cut the pipe. See photo.

I looked at various ones, but some are quite large and would really need to be fixed to the inner wing with consequent re plumbing, so went for the smallest I could find. It came as a kit with 2 different sized adapters to fit to the body and 4 short bits of fuel pipe {2 of each size) and 8 spring type hose clamps, all for under £20.

I checked it for pressure and found the markings on the regulator to be fairly accurate, set mine to 1.5 psi.

The Morgan tour was interesting, but probably not for the reasons you expect. Any visions of craftsmen hand making the cars is to some extent not true now, and it is more assembly of bought in components. As examples, the chassis are now bonded alloy complete tubs, inner wings, bulkheads,  floors and sill structures, all made elsewhere and bought in. Same goes for the front and rear wings which are pressure formed at another factory and bought in. Wood is still used for the body tub, all cnc milled, and the doors, bonnet, front rad shroud, etc are still hand made on site, so craftsmen are still employed.

The new owners have increased production to get the waiting list down from 8 years to only 1, mainly by sourcing more bought in parts, although at the moment they are running at one third of normal rate with a lot of the staff furlowed due to shortages of parts in the supply chain.

They have a small museum area with some original JAP powered three wheelers, an early +4 Ford powered 3 wheeler, and a replica of the first ever Morgan 3 wheeler.

Would I buy one?    good question.  Not one of the new ones unless my premium bonds came good, the modern BMW engines are far too complicated for my tastes, so many pipes and wires you cannot even see the engine.  I liked a 25 year old +4 with only 16000 miles on it for £40k, my daughter preferred the V8 squint eyed one for £240k, and would have driven the Aeroline home if she could have stumped up the £450k.

Ralph

20210806_075632.jpg

I am guessing the vacuum adaptor on the top of the manifold with the plastic pipe attached is for the distributor advance/retard.

How is the original threaded tapping (under the front carb) in the carb venturi closed off?  An air leak there would cause.........

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
26 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I am guessing the vacuum adaptor on the top of the manifold with the plastic pipe attached is for the distributor advance/retard.

How is the original threaded tapping (under the front carb) in the carb venturi closed off?  An air leak there would cause.........

Peter W

Good spot.  Just had a look with a mirror and it is not blocked off. There is a reducing bush  with a very small hole which must be limiting the amount of air being drawn in.

Just got it set up right with the plugs a nice light brown colour too.:wacko:

I bought the carbs and manifold together, and despite cleaning and re building the carbs had never noticed that hole. The one next to it and on the other carb are not drilled through so maybe I saw them and didn`t look closely enough. Also the adapter pipe was already in the manifold so assumed that was for the distributor advance pipe.

Any idea what thread that hole is? before I stick some chewing gum in it :D

Ralph

18 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Good spot.  Just had a look with a mirror and it is not blocked off. There is a reducing bush  with a very small hole which must be limiting the amount of air being drawn in.

Just got it set up right with the plugs a nice light brown colour too.:wacko:

I bought the carbs and manifold together, and despite cleaning and re building the carbs had never noticed that hole. The one next to it and on the other carb are not drilled through so maybe I saw them and didn`t look closely enough. Also the adapter pipe was already in the manifold so assumed that was for the distributor advance pipe.

Any idea what thread that hole is? before I stick some chewing gum in it :D

Ralph

I would use the carb take off for the advance, the manifold one is far too brutal to actually allow the vacuum capsule to work right.

Stuart.

I may be mistaken, as often, but Ralph, you know how you have routed the fuel line over the exhaust? Might that negatively impact the ingoing fuel temp? (No one else has commented on it, so I may be talking rot).

David

5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

As a complete aside to this thread, on the photo below of my engine bay you can clearly see the Lucas battery.  At a recent car show an ex Lucas employee came up to me and asked me if I knew what the arrow like symbol on the right of the label was supposed to represent.

I got it wrong.

Anyone out there know ??

20210806_075632.jpg

Yep it’s going to breakdown :lol:

Hi David,  there is 3 inches of air under the pipe and the regulator, which to be fair is the minimum according to the installation instructions, it`s just where the pipe ended up after bending it around.  The pipe was closer before I think.  The corner of the radiator filler neck is only 3 inches away from the exhaust manifold, so to get the pipe further away would mean going under the filler neck and bringing the pipe in from the front with a 90 degree bend onto the carb.  I will see how it gets on where it is before I start re plumbing it all.

Ralph

18 minutes ago, ntc said:

That`s a good one:lol:, probably appropriate too. Not right unfortunately.

I will leave it for a while and see what other guesses appear.

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I got it wrong.

Anyone out there know ??

20210806_075632.jpg

Lucas spent quite a lot of money with a marketing agency to have this logo designed I was informed.

30 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Lucas spent quite a lot of money with a marketing agency to have this logo designed I was informed.

A fool and his money............

Perhaps if they had invested in the product and not the box, their reputation might be better?

Edited by RobH

I used the rubber right angle connector and 'screwed' it onto the fitting in the carb body, then fitted the plastic tube to the distributor.

Moss sell the nut and olive for the metal pipe.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/ignition-system/ignition-system-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Peter W

22 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I got it wrong.

Anyone out there know ??

17 hours ago, ntc said:

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

as it is a downward arrow did it foretell their product and reputation?

20210806_075632.jpg

Ok, I was told it is supposed to represent, and I quote, "The perfect mechanical fit !",    angled thus so that the "gap" gives the impression of an L for Lucas.

Make of that what you will, but that was what I was told.

Whilst on the subject, were they really that bad ?.  Bear in mind they had to manufacture down to a price for the car giants, and I don`t recall their stuff being bad at all, especially when compared with what we get nowadays.  Anyone who worked on an old British bike fitted with Wipac electrics knows what grief they gave, and yet they survived when Lucas crumbled.

Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
  • 1 month later...

OK, an update.

After a couple of months of petrol leak free motoring, yesterday on starting up a strong smell of petrol which turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator leaking from under the adjusting knob. Fair gushing out straight onto the back of the alternator.

I have removed it and contacted the supplier. there is a label on the bottom of it that states "ONLY lead free fuel" !!   I cannot understand what difference leaded fuel would make if one could still get it, but fully understand that Ethanol would have an effect if the components were not Ethanol proof, seals etc.

I am waiting to see if I get a reply from the supplier.

Meanwhile I do now have an original AC pump and overhaul kit, so am thinking of using that which will mean I won`t need a regulator. I am worried though that the diaphragm in the original pump and overhaul kit may not be Ethanol tolerant, such additives not being around at the time they were made.

Any thoughts?

Ralph

I have a regulator like yours and it doesn't leak.

But I was told it is not accurate. Where the dial is marked 2 or 2.5 etc may be out. If you still need a regulator, I would fit this one. But make sure it has a hole drilled for fitting the pressure gauge.

IMG-20200804-WA0008.thumb.jpg.6e58f3be8a432c203cdb00a1eb846629.jpg

Edited by DavidBee

Yes, I have been looking at those and it is what I will buy next if I need to, but hoping an original pump will negate the need.

Ralph

7 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Yes, I have been looking at those and it is what I will buy next if I need to, but hoping an original pump will negate the need.

Ralph

If you need one, Ralph CHECK it has the threaded hole to fit a gauge.

Ciao,

David