H6 SU Carbs and Manifold - Newly Reconditioned

Hi all - just got this set back from the reconditioners - they look really good!

I'm told they are totally period correct in their detail ( the black painted bits) unless anyone knows any different - will be taking them to Malvern together with a full HS6 setup on a TR4/4A manifold and a similar Stromberg set up so if you think you might be interested, please get in touch.

Cheers Rich

IMG_0137 (1).jpg -Resized.jpg

IMG_0138 (1).jpg -Resized.jpg

Edited by rcreweread
word omitted

Hi Rich,

they look lovely, much better than both pairs I own.

But I always wonder about this polished "bells" (don't know if this is correct).

Was this the case new this cars have been new?

Ciao, Marco

Marco  - you are right that the original dashpots ("bells") were simply a smooth casting finish - mine are lightly polished over the existing casting. As you say, this wasn't an original finish. They are not polished to a mirror finish which would require smoothing out of any small imperfections before polishing which, in my opinion, looks too blingy- these are sort of in between..

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,

I know nothing :lol:, this is why I ask.

I just think polished dashpots did not match to the price of the car and not to the "engine bay design" (is there one?).

I let mine how they are after working 54 years, like me too they are a bit dull.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

At Moss we used to sell good volumes of these items to MG owners   Shiny dash pot covers.

http://www.triumphshop.co.uk/Quiller/Parts/products chrome dashpot cover.htm

image.jpeg.112ec6a39ffefa9c6826280c833b4590.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Am I right in thinking that SU H6s carburettors for TR2s and TR3s has different float chamber tops / covers (domed)?

This design came in for TR3As. The main difference is that the needle is not self-centering, which is the case with spring-loaded ones in HS6s. The H6s for the early low port head, up to some of the TR3s, had two bolts instead of four and a matching inlet manifold.

2 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Am I right in thinking that SU H6s carburettors for TR2s and TR3s has different float chamber tops / covers (domed)?

This design came in for TR3As. The main difference is that the needle is not self-centering, which is the case with spring-loaded ones in HS6s. The H6s for the early low port head, up to some of the TR3s, had two bolts instead of four and a matching inlet manifold.

TR2s and early 3s had H4s (1 1/2" SUs), up to I think TS12045 or similar. This is my long door car with as close to original H4s as I could make it. Not too shiny but clean and polished, as a proud new owner in 1954 might have done.

Engine bay drivers side from front.jpg

Edited by John McCormack
11 hours ago, John McCormack said:

TR2s and early 3s had H4s (1 1/2" SUs), up to I think TS12045 or similar. This is my long door car with as close to original H4s as I could make it. Not too shiny but clean and polished, as a proud new owner in 1954 might have done.

Engine bay drivers side from front.jpg

Certainly looks... perfect! Yes, I had forgotten that the early TR2s had the smaller carburettors. The only puzzling element, if I may say so, John, is the type of clip used to secure the fuel pipe attached to the front carburettor, while the one securing the water hose is the wire type. So, did they have both?

12 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Certainly looks... perfect! Yes, I had forgotten that the early TR2s had the smaller carburettors. The only puzzling element, if I may say so, John, is the type of clip used to secure the fuel pipe attached to the front carburettor, while the one securing the water hose is the wire type. So, did they have both?

No, that clip is modern. Most of the hose clips are the original with one or two modern wire clips where I haven't yet found good original ones.

You have brought it to my attention now so I will investigate what was there originally. Photos of genuine original TR2 engine bays that show this area seem hard to come by. No matter how you try, these things are a work in progress.

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

No, that clip is modern. Most of the hose clips are the original with one or two modern wire clips where I haven't yet found good original ones.

You have brought it to my attention now so I will investigate what was there originally. Photos of genuine original TR2 engine bays that show this area seem hard to come by. No matter how you try, these things are a work in progress.

I think the answer is " None".  I believe the rubber pipes were originally just a push fit, so for safety better with clips of some sort.

Ralph

10 hours ago, John McCormack said:

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I think the answer is " None".  I believe the rubber pipes were originally just a push fit, so for safety better with clips of some sort.

Ralph

Genrlemen,

The answer is that the TR2 originally had no rubber pipes connecting carbs to fuel pipe. The entire fuel pipe and banjos were one homogenous unit from fuel pump to carbs.

Cheers

Roger M-E

Beat me to it Roger.

I recall that getting the banjos to seal was a challenge if someone had bent the pipe in any way.   Simplest solution was to loosen the float lids, lightly nip the banjo bolts then tighten the float lids, finally tighten the banjo bolts.   The fuel pump nut can also be tricky as cross threading it spells doom.

I guess that is why a two piece fuel delivery pipe set up with flexible pipes was fitted to later cars.

Peter W

. (I failed to see the replies above that settle the matter for good)

Edited by DavidBee
On 7/31/2021 at 9:50 PM, DavidBee said:

I will obtain some wire clips to make it look more 'in period'. I wouldn't consider using a metal pipe all the way from the pump to the carbies. The float bowls are rubber mounted, why would they connect a solid pipe to the fuel pump?

3 hours ago, John McCormack said:

I will obtain some wire clips to make it look more 'in period'. I wouldn't consider using a metal pipe all the way from the pump to the carbies. The float bowls are rubber mounted, why would they connect a solid pipe to the fuel pump?

John,

To the best of my knowledge, the float chamber is solid mounted, being held to the main carb body by a banjo bolt and a collection of fibre and aluminium shim washers.If not solid mounted, why would there be a steady bracket from the damper banjo on the top of the float chamber, to the one of the 3 vacuum chamber screws?The rigid fuel pipe exits the fuel pump vertically, runs forward along the top of the head/rocker cover joint, turns right between the underside of the  thermostat housing and the fan pulley and then right again complete with the two carb banjos.The pipe is secured under the thermostat housing by a sheet steel folding bracket attached to the leftmost housing sandwich screw. If you don't do a good job at that point you get a squealing noise as the water pump pulley grinds it's way through the fuel pipe!

There is a picture in the factory wsm Engine section,Page 29 Fig 30.

Cheers

Roger M_E

Edited by roger murray-evans
error
2 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

John,

To the best of my knowledge, the float chamber is solid mounted, being held to the main carb body by a banjo bolt and a collection of fibre and aluminium shim washers.If not solid mounted, why would there be a steady bracket from the damper banjo on the top of the float chamber, to the one of the 3 vacuum chamber screws?The rigid fuel pipe exits the fuel pump vertically, runs forward along the top of the head/rocker cover joint, turns right between the underside of the  thermostat housing and the fan pulley and then right again complete with the two carb banjos.The pipe is secured under the thermostat housing by a sheet steel folding bracket attached to the leftmost housing sandwich screw. If you don't do a good job at that point you get a squealing noise as the water pump pulley grinds it's way through the fuel pipe!

There is a picture in the factory wsm Engine section,Page 29 Fig 30.

Cheers

Roger M_E

Like this.

Stuart.

TS2 005.jpg

You are right, the bowls are solid mounted. On the 1 3/4" H6 carbs on my other TR2 the bowls are secured to the jet with rubber seals giving a flexible rubber mount. I assumed the  1 1/2" H4s were the same. I bought them in a restored condition so didn't disassemble them. Lesson learnt.

The pipe from the pump is secured with the bracket under the water pump.

I had to make all the fuel pipes and if I had to make it all the way from the pump to the bowls in one piece I doubt I could have got it as good as it is. A one piece pipe would also make it more difficult to get a good seal on the bowl banjos. 

So far I haven't any fuel leaks from the system. I have ordered some wire clips for that short rubber hose to make it look more in period.

We are in lockdown at the moment so long drives aren't possible but I had to do some shopping this morning so took the long door TR2. I noticed that it has clocked up 2502 miles or 4,000kms since I put the car back on the road two years ago.

It only comes out on nice days and is a delight to drive.

Interesting in the photo, which is great to have, that the thermostat bypass hose clip isn't wire but looks to be a modern one.