'J' Type Overdrive oil pressure testing

Hi Guys,

Having completed the rebuild of an 'J' type overdrive now mounted to the gearbox on the bench, I need to set up a power drive to the output shaft and check its operation before fitting to my 4A.

Whilst the overdrive may function during this test, I would also like to check the oil pressure. However, a pressure gauge has to be connected to the test point to do this.

Before committing to purchase a pretty expensive adapted gauge available from ODS Ltd and others, for a one of use, I was wondering if anybody had been down this route and   had such a gauge that they would hire me rather buy one.

Thanks 

Rich

Did you read this? https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d019676f90de40001aae0a2/1560385143542/J+Type+Overdrive+Part+IV.pdf

Suggests using a LH rear brake hose from a TR4A-6 adapted to the gauge.

Then talk to this forum member. 

Peter W

Yes Peter, used Buckeyed triumph as a guide when rebuilding the overdrive.

Problem is I don't have an old rear hose to modify or a gauge of the correct range! To buy both of these would be more expensive than getting the proper item from ORS.

Thanks

Rich

Hi John,

I'm guessing not as ORS Ltd quote different part numbers for the A and J pressure gauges. The difference is probably the pressure point plug thread.

Rich