B and Q --V-- Screwfix

Hello All,

I’m afraid this post is only really of interest to UK readers and also it is quite possible that many people already know what I am about to say, but I’ll continue just incase it helps someone.

Both “B and Q” and “Screwfix” are owned by the same parent company, Kingfisher plc.

Both companies sell many identical products. In fact I’ve bought several products from Screwfix that are packaged as “DIALL”, a B and Q brand.

I’ve always realized that Screwfix products are cheaper, but only this past week have I taken more interest in the pricing. I’ve been building ducting from an extractor fan in the garage so that it pulls air out from just above the engine compartment of my car. (Complaints from indoors about engine smells…)

The main supplier of small-scale ducting in the UK is  “Manrose”.

Here is an example of price differences:

External flap wall vent;               B and Q £5.97    Screwfix £2.48
100 mm dia flat duct 1 mtr         B and Q £5.23    Screwfix £3.69
Flat to round duct converter      B and Q £5.42    Screwfix £2.99
Flat duct hanging clip (x2)         B and Q £3.04    Screwfix £1.09
Flat duct joining piece                B and Q £3.07    Screwfix £0.88

Just for those few items you would pay £22.73 at B and Q or £11.13 at Screwfix.

Less than half the price.
It’s similar for most items they both sell

If you have a Screwfix within the same distance as B and Q it’s worth checking out the prices online first. I doubt if anything from Screwfix will be more expensive.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

yes,I have found the same.  But my gripe is how much the price can be inflated from shop to shop.

I needed two Yuasu batteries  - RsComps apprx £36 each   ToolStation £18 each

I know that RSComps is historically expensive but this one took me by surprise.

I am not running RSComps down as they supply some most extraordinary stuff with free delivery and returns - you pay for quality

Roger

Wow Charlie, thanks, that is genuinely good to know…. I’m aware (locally to me at least) that B&Q is more expensive than Wicks albeit, marginally better quality? But, I’ve always under utilised Screwfix, up to now, because you don’t get to wander around 

Hello David,

Hmmm...

You caught me out there !

I've actually bought postcrete a couple of years ago. (Got mine from Wickes.)

I guess there will be some prices the other way around, but still worth checking.

Tony.

49 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

I’ve always under utilised Screwfix, up to now, because you don’t get to wander around

Not being able to wander around is a saving in its self. You don't end up spotting something that makes you say "I bet that will come in useful one day, and buy it, then put it in the garage and never get it out again."

Roger,

I believe that Toolstation is owned by Travis Perkins.
Up until recently Travis Perkins also owned Wickes. In fact in Hereford Toolstation and Wickes were next door to each other with a hole in the wall so you could go from one to the other without getting wet.

I never did compare prices between those two though.
It’s amazing when you look into things and find out who owns who.

I think RS will always be a winner because big companies can rely on it to have the parts in stock and got to them in 24 hours. The electronics companies I worked for used them as their main suppliers.

I remember their main automated warehouse being built in Corby. The biggest windowless building I had ever seen.

Charlie.

Yes...

Well......

Errrmmmm.........

Just as a test I checked the prices of 15mm copper pipe. (Common item.)

B and Q is slightly cheaper.:(

I still think it is worth checking before you go to one or the other.

Charlie.