TR4A Washer pump conversion to electric switch

Hello all,

Wanted to electrify the washer system. Searched through google and on this forum and found lots of advice on suitable electric pump, (Lucas WSB100), type/siting etc., but using a non original flip switch mounted somewhere on the dashboard or under it. (as far as I could find).   I wanted to retain the originality of the outer parts of the pump knob/plunger in the dashboard so dreamed up this. It works extremely well so thought I would share it.

Initially took the manual pump apart to see if I could fix it. Carefully unpeeled the aluminium case from the rear plastic piece.  Removed the years of crud inside the pump bellows but the internal non return valve to the jets was leaking and was unfixable.

Googled and found the Lucas SMB420, a normally open, plunger type, brake light switch. 3/8” UNF Threaded.  Rummaged in my odds and sods box and found an old IRS Diiff mounting washer, Part 134234. Exact OD fit into the aluminium housing and 3/8” bore to suit the switch. Needed to file a 2mm chamfer on this 3mm thick washer to allow the housing to be peened back over it to secure. Welded a 3/8”UNF nut to the inside of it. (Bonding would probably be OK). See picture 1.

Picture 2 shows a piece of wooden dowel that was needed to fill up the gap between the base of the bellows and the switch  15mm was a good rattle fit to not jam up the bellows. 20mm long worked for me and provided the correct amount of push against the bellows before the knob plunger hit the switch plunger to operate.

Picture 3 shows the finished switch.   Parts available in stock at DMG triumph. Dowel from Wickes. 

Picture 4 showing the electric pump mounted under the passenger footwell behind the dash cubby as per advice on this forum, in my case mounted to the now defunct LH drive steering column mounting bracket.  I fitted a non return valve to the jet output of the pump but not sure if this was needed or not. System already has non return valves on the wash bottle side.

Problem now is that the original 1/2 pint capacity washer bottle is inadequate for an electric pump….next job.

David B

Switch parts.png

Switch bellows.png

Switch finished.png

Pump position.png

David

I used the TR6 bottle and pump on my 4A to get bigger capacity. I used a TR heater switch with the original washer knob to hook it up. So the dash looks original but I have electric washers. Job done.