mechanical tachometer to an electric one

Hello TR6 ler,

I have an idea, I want to convert my mechanical tachometer to an electric one. I've already found one. Jaguar XJ 6 this fits by the crowds. Should be redesigned a bit. But what worries me at first is the following. Where are the 2 white and 1 green cables connected to the TR6? Have no plan and fear of doing something wrong.

Is that possible or do I need other parts.

Can one of you help me.

greeting

Dok1.docx

Based on TR electrics which are Lucas derived same as Jaguar.....white wires are ignition as in coil and green wires are fused, ignition switch controlled power  as in wiper motor.

So white wire comes from coil and green wire from fused ignition switch controlled supply.

TheXJ6 ser 3 Jag has only two connectors on it.

https://shop.everydayxj.com/XJ6_Tachometer_Rev_Counter_DAC3008_p/xj6-2f13-dac3008.htm

next.png

Is it RVI or RVC type instrument that you have?    It will be on the dial.

Here is how to fit RVI tacho in a MGA  https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et202c.htm

I have copied this from a Rover Forum. 

RVI Tachometers work by sensing the current used by the ignition coil, whereas RVC Tachometers work by sensing the Voltage changes at the coil -ve/points connection.

image.png.66c3785d62132e25d4406613f738988b.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

Surely the mechanical Tacho drive is more accurate?

The electronic Tacho should be more accurate. The little stepper motors and control circuits are very good.

Whereas the drag coupling may have losses.

Roger