What Ethanol treatment additives are being used?

With the imminent move to E10 fuel in the UK, what treatment additives are people using/will be using in their PI 6s to combat the effects the higher Ethanol % will have on our fuel components and engines? Reading various websites it seems the FBHVC have endorsed Frost Ethomix. Other widely marketed products are Ethanol Shield B3C, Lucas Safeguard Fuel Conditioner and Sta-Bil 22264 360 CS Ethanol Treatment. Any owner recommendations? I try to always fill up with BP Ultimate which only has 5% Ethanol content, and I understand will still be available after the mandatory introduction of 10% content in regular grade fuels, but should I be using an Ethanol fuel treatment additive to this higher octane fuel anyway? 

I use Millers VSPE Power Plus which is a lead replacement supplement, an Octane Booster and also provides Ethanol protection according to the Blurb on the bottle.

No Idea if it is any good, but it was recommended to me by the PO?

Regards

Gary

The guy that did the TRR lecture(Paul Ireland) the other week said he hadn't found any that gave complete protection.

You're better off just using the Esso 99 RON stuff which is generally ethanol free.

I will continue to use BP Momentum which is not changing so all all is good

I and many of us over here have been using 10% ethanol fuel for a decade...My engine and carb components don't mind it at all.

BUT I don't have to hibernate my car with fuel stored in it and I doubt if any of the gas in my tank is over one month old.

I think that's where you might have problems with the alcohol sitting unburned in the fuel tank for a month or more..

There is a STABIL product called "360" for everyday use and another STABIL product for stored gasoline...I believe both those are for dealing with ethanol blended fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 9:56 PM, poolboy said:

I and many of us over here have been using 10% ethanol fuel for a decade...My engine and carb components don't mind it at all.

BUT I don't have to hibernate my car with fuel stored in it and I doubt if any of the gas in my tank is over one month old.

I think that's where you might have problems with the alcohol sitting unburned in the fuel tank for a month or more..

There is a STABIL product called "360" for everyday use and another STABIL product for stored gasoline...I believe both those are for dealing with ethanol blended fuel.

As per poolboy - I've been using STABIL for 2 or 3 years now - its an excellent product and I use it anything that runs on petrol (including lawnmowers....) 

Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99  is also ethanal free but not available in all parts of the UK - again I think its worth paying the premium for it 

https://www.facebook.com/rick.cunningham.1232/videos/781953749166566

If your willing and able have a look at Rick Cunningham's on the BSA Motorcycles Facebook page were he adds water to petrol with ethanal  - very interesting ! 

On 7/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, Mike C said:

I'd be worried about the elastomers in the PI system with E10. Mine are viton, which I suspect are OK, but in Australia I can still run on BP Ultimate.

For E10, elastomers  s/b Viton grade B. Some of the PI suppliers here in the UK are already using this grade. Also note that E10 is more aggressive on some metals like monkey metal!

Bruce. 

Hello chaps.

I’ve used Valvemaster Plus for the last seven years.  It says it contains ethanol stabilisers as well as the lead replacement additives.  I’ve never suffered from stale fuel over winter. 

Interestingly, we have had a shortage of Shell VMax here recently and all the stations had run out.  Having read the thread on Esso having 0% ethanol I chose to fill up there instead.  I don’t think it’s me thinking there’s a difference because even my wife has told me that the car is running much smoother.  Esso will be my brand of choice from now on.

cheers

dave

• 3 weeks later...