leaking core plug

My 1964 TR4 developed a leak from the core plug (near the battery housing). I ordered a replacement part, removed the old core plug (with difficulty) and put in the new one with some gasket cement. However, the replacement plug was not brass like the original one and the new plug is leaking slightly. Question 1: Can brass core plugs be sourced? Question 2: should the core plug be fitted concave or convex? All advice gratefully received.

TR4 01.jpeg

I was not aware of brass ones.  the plug should be fitted with the bulge outermost, & sealant behind it (in the hole)

Once fully in position at the back of the recess, the bulge needs to be pressed (hammered) inwards till flat.

This forces the edges firmly into the hole sides & locks it it.

Bob.

Thanks Bob. I left the plug with the bulge outwards. I will try to flatten it into place. 

Hi Faiers,

welcome to the forum.

That looks like a very nice TR4

have you a name we can call you by.

Like Bob,  I have never seen a brass core plug. They are/were cadmium plated that may leave a Brass like finish.

Roger 

Edited by RogerH

Brass core plugs are available, but not as common in use as mild steel as Bob says.

I used red hermatite as a sealant, but it is worth giving the opening a good clean with Emery to ensure any deposits due to leakage are removed.

Kevin

19E67191-19AB-47F9-8BDA-C4E674CD265F.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

On a 4cyl TR the core plug used at the back of the head is a plug to seal a waterway which is under pressure 4 - 20lb whatever the cap poundage is, and needs to be a round dished core plug like this shape ) . This allows the core plug disk to contact all around it's circumference at the bottom of the machined opening when beaten flat in the centre, the hole diameter of which is opened up slightly at the bottom to aid restriction fitting. They should be fitted with your choice of sealer around their circumference (I use araldite wiped around the hole into the bottom corner).

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Lebro said:

What engine is that ?

Bob.

Hi Bob

It was a 'stock' pic purely because it showed the brass plug, but is a TR6 Engine according to this site...

https://www.google.com/search?q=core+plug+triumph+tr&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7i9O1mvTxAhXREcAKHSXXBkkQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1536&bih=775#imgrc=uyUKt3HvnzNeTM

Regards

Kevin

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

On a 4cyl TR the core plug used at the back of the head is a plug to seal a waterway which is under pressure 4 - 20lb whatever the cap poundage is, and needs to be a round dished core plug like this shape ) . This allows the core plug disk to contact all around it's circumference at the bottom of the machined opening when beaten flat in the centre, the hole diameter of which is opened up slightly at the bottom to aid restriction fitting. They should be fitted with your choice of sealer around their circumference (I use araldite wiped around the hole into the bottom corner).

Mick Richards

……..Unless it is a TR4A head which used the cup type.  That is the shape of the brass type pictured.  
Peter W

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

……..Unless it is a TR4A head which used the cup type.  That is the shape of the brass type pictured.  
Peter W

AAaahhh I stand admonished.

Mick Richards