Hi all, I was tootling along yesterday, top down, cap on (bald head), enjoying the sunshine when I heard an ominous rumble. A few months ago the bolts on the propshaft had come loose and it sounded very similar to that. I put it up on the stands and checked but the bolts were tight. I then put the car in gear and turned the rear wheel and heard a slight noise from the gearbox, it was the same noise throughout all the gears so I assume it is wear on the main shaft ? The car drives well apart from this noise any ideas ?

Regards

Ron

Easy when you get there! but gearbox out, overdrive off and strip it down first- so a lot of work.

Very good instructions from Pete Cox article in Technicalities or look at rebuilding gearboxes on Buckeye Triumph (on the net)

or farm it out to someone like Pete Cox

Good luck

No, they are not easy ! the main (big) bearings are a very tight fit on the I/P & main shafts, getting them off, & new ones on is a pain, & you need to be very careful not to damage the new bearing when you fit them, & then when you re-fit the main shaft to the box.

See my recent article:

Gearbox strip & rebuild.pdf

Bob

Ron 

not sure where you are but if in a couple hours of Redditch near Birmingham 

take it to Pete cox. It’s what I did with mine yesterday. 

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk

father and son team and soooo helpful and knowledgable