Picture says it all really ? And inside gearbox

Nice day off work so decide to visit TRE 70 miles away, not been there before. Good test of my water pump which worked admirably and controlled temps with fan on a hot day 

only for the gearbox to grenade itself 50mph in OD 4th

3 hrs wait for collection now on 2nd breakdown truck to home.

I now understand what AA “relay” means  but it’s a busy time of year for these guys and it’s o  the club insurance DAS 

Box removal on urgent agenda now as have promised mother in law a track day ride round her home island of Anglesey as one of her bucket lists items following cancer treatment .

B640AA1D-2023-46C2-B02C-861DF8BDE859.jpeg

Edited by Hamish

oah that's a shame, IF I can help in anyway so you make your deadline for your mother in law let me know. I have a spare box/overdrive here (but unknown) and I have a finished unit at Pete Cox's awaiting collection if you want that one and get it back to me later in the year?

finally back home. All this p1ssing about waiting and trucking car in this  heat is knackering !!

Nigel

thank you so much that is such a generous offer. What an ace club and forum this is  :D

I have in mind getting the box out after work tomorrow.

and driving it to Pete cox after work Thursday.
Spoke to Tom whilst waiting recovery and he was confident he and his dad could work something out. 
I’m ready for a sharp intake of breath and then a “proper job fix” 

so fingers crossed I can manage it. I should take seats out etc tonight but to be honest just can’t face it. 

Iain

these things are sent to try us and the poor thing does get some abuse. But I do understand that in the bigger world it’s a minor irritation. But I would like to deliver on a promise. At least it happened today and not on the first lap at Anglesey !!

Sorry you broke you car, unfortunately with working nights I can’t give you a hand at night but if you need a hand in the daytime give me a ring, if it had been on a club event you would be in for the broken spanner award, you could still be! 

Mike Redrose group 

What bad luck Hamish.  Knowing the sort of use you put it to (occasionaly) make sure it gets rebuilt to the strongest standard, ie decent bearings, and a three bearing countergear.  Is it worth considering using a Stag box - they are stronger.

Bob.

Take the opportunity to change it to a dog box, that`ll help your lap times. ;)

Stuart.

I have thought about it Stuart. But perhaps a step too far for my road use !

1 minute ago, Hamish said:

I have thought about it Stuart. But perhaps a step too far for my road use !

You`d get used to it.

Stuart.

Good luck Hamish

I really do hope you get it sorted in time to give MiL her trip 

3 hours ago, stuart said:

You`d get used to it.

Stuart.

think i would be ok on the way up ( was forever clutches changing on motorbikes) its on the way down i think i may have mishaps !!

in the road you can of course still use the clutch for a less brutal experience but still need to match speeds.

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

think i would be ok on the way up ( was forever clutches changing on motorbikes) its on the way down i think i may have mishaps !!

in the road you can of course still use the clutch for a less brutal experience but still need to match speeds.

Having driven all sorts of non synchro boxes and also twin split boxes where you only needed to use the clutch to pull away you do soon get used to it, people are spoilt these days with such soft synchros or auto boxes. I had to drive across the whole of London one night with a broken clutch cable, surprising how you adapt.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

I had to drive across the whole of London one night with a broken clutch cable, surprising how you adapt.

Stuart.

Made it too, mainly by night (less traffic) from North of France to South-West : about 600 Miles on "Nationales" without de-clutching at all.  More easy than it seems.

I managed 15 or 20 miles in Monday traffic in only 4th. Didn’t risk changing in case I didn’t get any gear .

well the box is out 2hours 

but I fully realise taking it out is the easy bit. 

B5DDE210-2198-4ABF-B680-324D21962103.jpeg

52290795-0B46-4660-8B60-56A4DCFE25A9.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

If I remember correctly fixed with bits from a broken washing machine to get you back home the 700 km to the north of France :lol: 

It wasn't with my VWW (VolksWagen Whirlpool), but with a Renault 5, in 1989 : the release bearing was in bits, impossible to de-clutch at all ;)

Due to the kindness of Tom, Pete cox son he opened his business to take delivery of my box at 7pm. 
so it’s now in safe hands and they will try and have a look tomorrow. 

wonderful service :D

Just now, Hamish said:

Due to the kindness of Tom, Pete cox son he opened his business to take delivery of my box at 7pm. 
so it’s now in safe hands and they will try and have a look tomorrow. 

wonderful service :D

Brilliant news, Hamish! Really glad. I think what you and others like you in the Register achieve, by campaigning your TRs, is very good for the Club. Fun yes, but also excellent PR! THANK YOU

Thanks for your kind words David but really undeserving 

there are so many here on the forum and out in club land of local groups that have put in decades of service to the club and the marque.

i have covered my car in club stickers and try and keep the club championship to the fore  as it’s a great Avenue for classic motorsport.

So much so, that I’ll be missing the IWE as I have probably my last 2 events at Shelsely and Curborough the same weekend. 

I couldn’t fo it without the support of this forum particularly.

What you need is a spare gearbox ‘just in case’.  That will make sure the fitted one does not play up.   
You can then curse it every time you bash your shin on it.
Peter W

• Hamish changed the title to Picture says it all really ? And inside gearbox