6 cylinder head core plug removal

There are two core plugs at the rear of the head by the battery.  I had a leaking rusty one, the larger of the two.  It was a pig to remove with the head in situ.  PLEASE don't listen to the advice on U tube videos mostly from USA suggesting these can be knocked inwards on one side and hence rotate like a carburetter butterfly valve and easily remove.  There is cast iron behind the larger core plug and you cannot knock it inwards.  I had to resort to desperate measures to remove mine, and virtually destroy it before it would come out.  I used a dremel with a mini grinder taking great care not to cut into the cast iron.

17 hours ago, Chris59 said:

Could you please tell how you put the new one in ?

I had a lot of trouble with the core plug in the block just before the alternator with splitting on the inside rim. I had three in 3 years? They came from the usual suspects. Then found a British company called CPI. Where you can buy s/s ones direct that are made in the UK. No further trouble since. Fitting: I use a short alum. punch that just  fits inside the  the rim of the core plug and hammer it in. The one at the back of the cylinder head has to be levered in using a block of wood and a short punch against the bulk head.

Bruce

Chris, I had no problem putting the new one in.  I bought a set of cores from Racetorations.  I put red sealand round the outside, found a socket that was a loose fit inside the core and was able to tap it in with a heavy lump hammer having removed the battery of course.