Waxoyling Chassis Best Access Points

Afternoon all

I should be out driving on a day like this but decided to give the 4a some chassis protection instead!

I’ve got a gun with a 360 degree nozzle and about 1 metre of tubing. Has anyone done this recently and if so what are the best access points in the chassis without drilling holes? 

I notice inserting the probe at the rear it soon balks in the cross tube inside the legs, so wonder if there are specific places where best coverage is achieved?

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

my chassis did not have any access holes. I had to drill 1/2" holes everywhere..

There are little bulkheads all over the place.

Drill a hole - poke a length of wire in and see where it stops - mark this position. Repeat for the whole chassis.

WARNING - do not drill any holes until you know you have the plugs to fill the hole.

Roger

23 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Kevin,

my chassis did not have any access holes. I had to drill 1/2" holes everywhere..

There are little bulkheads all over the place.

Drill a hole - poke a length of wire in and see where it stops - mark this position. Repeat for the whole chassis.

WARNING - do not drill any holes until you know you have the plugs to fill the hole.

Roger

Hi Roger

Thats  interesting as my chassis has some holes drilled on the main longitudinal chassis rails , but you are right about the little bulkheads! In some direction it’ll only insert about 2” if that. I guess the most important areas are the rear rails and those that branch of at an angle to meet the outriggers for rear arm mounts. 

Originally the chassis was restored by a company I think in Lancashire and they said they’d oiled it, but that was around 1995.

I haven’t done this on a 4a but was told not to plug the holes when waxoyling the 3a………plenty of wax and let the cavity breath, unlike Triumph who built in condensation traps.

Iain

1 hour ago, iain said:

I haven’t done this on a 4a but was told not to plug the holes when waxoyling the 3a………plenty of wax and let the cavity breath, unlike Triumph who built in condensation traps.

Iain

Hi Iain

The holes in my chassis have been left unplugged for about 25 years. Like houses it is probably a good idea to allow some airflow into boxes in areas. 

Kevin

If you plug it, will it not stop the waxoyl from settling as the vapors can't escape until you plug it? May not matter if it functions in it's semi-liquid state.

If you drill a box section and leave it unplugged it may well fill with water unless the hole is at the lowest point so any water entering or condensing water vapor can drain out immediately.

14 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

If you plug it, will it not stop the waxoyl from settling as the vapors can't escape until you plug it? May not matter if it functions in it's semi-liquid state.

If you drill a box section and leave it unplugged it may well fill with water unless the hole is at the lowest point so any water entering or condensing water vapor can drain out immediately.

Hi Andy

A lot depends on whether there are small openings where the rails are welded/ joined I suppose, but good point.

On my car the holes have been drilled on the side of the rail, but about 1” up, which is probably not the best position. As you say the lowest point on the rail, on the underside, with the car standing is the only way it will self drain when stationary if water does happen to get in, which it probably will even if as condensate. There are also no holes on the rear arm mounting member on mine, so if it did find a way in it won’t drain. I’ll be drilling a couple of holes here.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
3 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

The slower it sets, the longer it has to creep into all the seams.

Pete