front suspension overhaul: lower arm removal

11 hours ago, earckens said:

Top posting Peter!

Very clear, now I understand.

About the inner milky nylon polyamide bush, Moss sells the black POM version less than half price of the white nylon polyamide bushing so I thought that was inferior quality.

The rubber sealing rings I replace with the polyurethane version.

Also the rubber seal rings on the outer end will be replaced with the polyurethane version.

What do you mean with "..Argro.."?

Thanks again,

Erik

PS: I use the spring compression tool made by Z320, top job!

My experience with the black nylatron POM bushes from Moss is that they require 'sizing' to the steel bush once they are installed in the wishbone arm.  They are probably cheaper as they have been in stock for so long, perhaps since Triumph Tune ran as a separate business alongside Cox and Buckles Spares. 

Peter W

6 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My experience with the black nylatron POM bushes from Moss is that they require 'sizing' to the steel bush once they are installed in the wishbone arm.  They are probably cheaper as they have been in stock for so long, perhaps since Triumph Tune ran as a separate business alongside Cox and Buckles Spares. 

Peter W

I just discovered that the standard nylon bushes part #110696 and part 115 on this drawing: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/front-suspension-tr2-4-1953-65.html

also needs reaming.

Edit: wrong info, fitting is fine, there was some dirt when trying the new nylon bushes

Edited by earckens
correction, wrong info
On 7/20/2021 at 6:48 PM, Drewmotty said:

Those outer bushes don't look bad although it is difficult to see with them full of grease. I'd clean them up to see if the bronze layer has worn through (if it has they're scrap)  and try the new trunnion spindle in there with just some light oil to test them for size. If they're not sloppy I'd re use them.

I wouldn't use anything other than the standard bushes in the lower inner as they exhibit far less flex than poly-bushes. The lower inners take the majority of the load and poly bushes let the assembly flex quite a bit especially under hard braking. I've used the nylon lower inners on the top fulcrums too for better location but unlike some I do prefer a bit of handling sharpness over a smooth ride.

Just discovered that the trunnion pins show signs of wear and grooves (photo's).

Is there any particularities I have to keep in mind when replacing the trunnions (ie. number of turns when screwing out identical to number of turns when screwing new one in,..)?

IMG_20210723_161415.jpg

IMG_20210723_161420.jpg

Coo.!

real TR4 with thin washers to support the grease seals.

PS Yes the pins look very worn.

Don't chuck the trunions tho if they are a good fit on the V posts.  New pins may turn up.  We used to sell them as a spare part 40 years ago.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
50 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Coo.!

real TR4 with thin washers to support the grease seals.

PS Yes the pins look very worn.

Don't chuck the trunions tho if they are a good fit on the V posts.  New pins may turn up.  We used to sell them as a spare part 40 years ago.

Peter W

What are "V-posts"?

What do you suggest I do with these trunnions?

I think they are original, so for the time being maybe replace them with new ones? And what with the current ones?

Thank you for the compliment on the thin washers.. the more I work on this car the more I discover about it.

V post is the vertical post that the trunion screws onto.

I’d put the old trunnions in a box or somewhere I could find them in years to come in the garage workshop.   Look in the box every 6 months or so to remind you what is the.  Perhaps a label…TR 4 …needs pins - thread to vertical post good.

Pete W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
16 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

V post is the vertical post that the trunion screws onto.

I’d put the old trunnions in a box or somewhere I could find them in years to come in the garage workshop.   Look in the box every 6 months or so to remind you what is the.  Perhaps a label…TR 4 …needs pins - thread to vertical post good.

Pete W

Good idea.

Do you know someone I can send these trunnions to be restored/refurbished/.. ?