Brake pad anti rattle springs

Hello chaps.

I know this has come up many times but there have been many differing thoughts as to which springs are the right ones.

So, for a large pin imperial calliper on a 1970 CP, which spring kit works?

…. This one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370521816641?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dc10056b7259749c091e71fe7c7a980f6%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D370521816641%26itm%3D370521816641%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A72744f2d-e425-11eb-ba61-9e44892a6943|parentrq%3Aa1e0d7c217a0acf2d2e68dc7ffcfef24|iid%3A1

…. people on the past have said the springs are too long and needed trimming/ bending…..

….. or this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRW-PFK106-Pad-Fitting-Kit/dp/B00DPHZ3C0  … which looks to have the wrong size pins.

To be clear, my pads move back and forth in the calliper by 1mm or so and rattle.  My object is to remove the pad rattle.  I understand people have resolved it in the past using the springs.

Does anyone have a successful installation that they can share a photo of the springs in situ?

cheers

dave

I discarded springs years ago and the pads dont rattle. I smear a little Coppaslip on the pins and piston-pad contact area to ensure smooth sliding of the pads.

1 mm gap sounds a lot, and might be the result of too much run-out on the disc or "knock-back" from play in wheel bearings.

Peter

The purpose of the springs is anti-squeal not anti-rattle. The spring is designed to make the pad approach and leave contact with the disc at shallow angle and so avoid brake squeal during light braking.  Rattling is a sign of something amiss other than absence of springs.

Peter

1 hour ago, aardvark said:

The pads move in the direction of travel of the disk, Peter.  They don’t rattle against the pistons.

Do you have the right pad/pin combination? Sounds like you dont.

Stuart.

The first sales site link looks like the ones on my car which has 1/4”. (6.4 mm) diameter retaining pins for the pads.   My pads used to rattle in the callipers before I used the kit.  No irritating rattle now. 
Peter W

I’ll give the first link a go - thanks Peter W.

Stuart - I have the correct pins for the callipers, pads are the correct hawk ones.

Peter c - I thought the shims are to get the correct approach angle. Previous TRR threads suggest the springs weren’t originally fitted on triumph applications but were on Ford applications to stop the rattle.  The links I referred to were previous posters suggested solutions from at least 15 years ago but, as always, there was some difference of opinion as to which ones were correct.  I had hoped that someone knew the definitive answer.

cheers

dave

Edited by aardvark

Dave, I think i was  confusing springs with anti-squeal shims. I dont use shims. Rattle has never been a problem so maybe ive been lucky with the vrious pads and pins i fitted over the years. Peter

• 4 weeks later...

To close this thread off, I purchased the springs in the first link (see above), modified them to suit ( they needed shortening), installed them and I have to say that I’m really impressed.  All of the annoying rattles have now vanished.  Best ten quid spent to date.

regards

dave