Removing Gearbox & Overdrive

So a number of recent threads on the forum, mine included, show that some of us are busy lugging gearboxes in and out of our cars for whatever reason.

Anybody who has done this knows it is hard work, it is not the simple task other cars can be, I can remember changing the clutch in my dads corsair single handedly lying underneath with the box on my chest.

Hillman imps god luv 'em simply needed a trolley jack under the transaxle and twenty minutes spannering, and everything was all over the drive.

Not so TR's!

With this in mind, and having fought one such operation for quite some time, I built a crane.

Not my original idea this, but it has been refined over the years, and can now make G/B with O/D removal, a simlpe safe one man operation. It works just like an engine crane but is low enough to reach in under the heater unit and collect the box, doing all the work.

Not suggesting that every Tr owner should build one, but it is a thought for say one in each active local group, any one wants the details - just ask.

gearbox%20crane%20001.jpgJohn.

Edited by john

As a poor TR4A owning student I have done:

• Drive to workshop
  • extract gearbox
  • Strip mainshaft & fit new syncros
  • Reassemble
  • Refit gearbox
  • Drive home

In one day....i was bloody knackered and covered in oil by the end of it...but it's possible...no crane..just a nice dry workshop..

Plus Barry Carter (on here sometimes) making the tea.

There's certainly a knack to refitting the box, if the clutch hasnt been disturbed it's easier....but force & determination help.

Somewhere on the webtube there's a video of the jaguar factory showing engine & gearbox assembly...it's interesting because they have a hoist to swing the gearbox into place, but once the primary shaft is located they remove the hoist and leave it dangling from the engine on just the primary before starting to bolt it up...so often I guess we are more delicate than the factory was when slapping this stuff together...

I guess in the factory the gearbox and engine were put into the car as a single unit with minimal thought given at the design stage to clutch changes or taking the box in and out.

Would an engine crane do the job?

Edited by andymoltu

I guess in the factory the gearbox an engine were put into the car as a single unit with minimal thought given at the design stage to clutch changes or taking the box in and out.

Would an engine crane do the job?

If you look at any of the factory films of the Triumph TR assembly lines the engine and box was already fitted to the chassis and the body then just dropped down over it.

Engine crane is too high in the rear section to go under the dash but can be utilised to help a bit.

Stuart.

Hillman imps god luv 'em simply needed a trolley jack under the transaxle and twenty minutes spannering, and everything was all over the drive.

Twenty minutes? Is that including a tea break?

Pete (recovering Imp addict)

Pete, trying not to show off!

Once did it twice in an afternoon to silence a very troublesome spigot bush!

Stan - yes it dismantles flat and hangs on the garage wall.

A number of folks have PM 'd me for details, at the moment they are in the old grey matter, give me a couple of days and I will get some stuff down on paper and shipped out to one and all.

John.

Nice rig, John. Sure saves fiddling with cardboard, 2x4s and what-not.

The box with O/D weighs 100 lbs. I've always managed alone but look forward to it less and less with age. One of mine leaks quite a lot and it seems the engine's rear seal does too, so I'm in for another round sooner or later.

If doing 2X in a row I'd be quicker with such recent practice. 20 minutes out is PDQ.

Cheers,

Tom

So a number of recent threads on the forum, mine included, show that some of us are busy lugging gearboxes in and out of our cars for whatever reason.

Anybody who has done this knows it is hard work, it is not the simple task other cars can be, I can remember changing the clutch in my dads corsair single handedly lying underneath with the box on my chest.

Not so TR's!

With this in mind, and having fought one such operation for quite some time, I built a crane.

Not my original idea this, but it has been refined over the years, and can now make G/B with O/D removal, a simlpe safe one man operation. It works just like an engine crane but is low enough to reach in under the heater unit and collect the box, doing all the work.

Not suggesting that every Tr owner should build one, but it is a thought for say one in each active local group, any one wants the details - just ask.

gearbox%20crane%20001.jpgJohn.

Like it John!

Looking forward to seeing the drawings and measurements - a bit too late for me as I'm refitting the gearbox and OD on Sat after Pete Cox worked his magic today - but as Pete say the proof of the pudding etc etc........................fingers crossed!

Cheers

Andrew

For those who asked for details of the crane, apologies but it took about as long to write the info

as it did to build the crane, be out to one and all over the weekend.

Stan,

The crane dismantled for storage.

gearbox%20crane%203%20031.jpg

John.

Edited by john

Good luck Andrew - watch the back, knees, shoulder etc.

john.

Thanks John, but got help tomorrow.

Andrew sounds like you have decided that the O/D way is better then?

Cheers

Alan Graham

Alan,

No, this is not the TR6's gearbox (staying non-OD) - this is the 3A's, see: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/59023-note-to-self/

Cheers

Andrew

John, I too would appreciate a copy of the design. I have done this job a few times through the car and have to say its one I relish less and less!

Cheers

Iain

/img]John.

Hi John

I remember doing something very similar, but with my Dad's V4 Capri. T'was a Sunday morning in 1974 and I had promised him I'd do his clutch. However the night before I unexpectedly met up with some friends and we were out and about 'til 4:00 am. He was banging on my door at 8:00 am. I didn't feel great under that car.

With the gearbox lift, I always find the worst bit, and when you really need weight support the most is the final 3" or so when the blighter doesn't want to go in!

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Update;-

Yougest son has done something with my 20.2Meg? file so I should now be able to ship on to one and all!

I know this has got a bit long winded but Computers aint my bag.

IF any of you who have requested the gen, haven't received it by this evening, PLEASE Pm me and I will address.

John.

Update;-

Yougest son has done something with my 20.2Meg? file so I should now be able to ship on to one and all!

I know this has got a bit long winded but Computers aint my bag.

IF any of you who have requested the gen, haven't received it by this evening, PLEASE Pm me and I will address.

John.

Hi John,I received mine and an Exellent Job you made of the Files,Thanks Muchly.

Hi John, very interesting crane, I send you also a PM

Regards

Edited by Marc R