Hi Folks,

I had my MOT test today and all went well.

The testing man did comment on my NIghtEye LED head light bulbs. I spoke to him back in anuary when the rogue DVL notice came out banning LED H4's.

He said the aligned exactly as per the regulations.

I mention to him that I had sorted an oil leak on the GB and could he report back if it was still OK.

When he finished he called me to go under the car and see what was happening.

The GB/OD & Diff were covered in oil but I believe the oil is coming from the Timing chain cover oil seal. as there was a fresh wet oil run.

It is incredible the amount of work you have t do to get at the TC cover.

The pulley hub looks a little worn so that will be replaced unless I can get a speedi-sleeve.

I'm off now to Moss to get the replacement parts.

Roger

I have been thinking about addressing the oil leaks on my 6 since about 2013...... 

Any body got strong views on the efficiency of the original metal cased FTC cover seals versus the modern all rubber replacements, I will be tackling that part soon, if I have no more snags!!  Cheers, Andrew

48 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Roger,

This triggered my memory. Sorry slight deviation

I followed your thread on gearbox selector rod oil leaks and you fitted Quad O rings as I recall. Did they stop the leak?

Well, I took Roger’s advice by fitting quad O rings two years ago and yes, they have stopped those leaks - but there are others still to be fixed, although they are minor!

james

Hi Mike/James,

annoyingly the Q seals didn't work very well for me.

So I have now gone to the extreme and have fitted 3/4"O/D lip seals.

The 'O' ring counterbore needs enlarging with a a 3/4" milling cutter that has a 1/2" pilot - which I have.

Roger

20 hours ago, AndrewMAshton said:

Any body got strong views on the efficiency of the original metal cased FTC cover seals versus the modern all rubber replacements, I will be tackling that part soon, if I have no more snags!!  Cheers, Andrew

Andrew, when I did this over the winter, I went for a metal cased seal from Moss and it seems to be doing the job.  I did notice that the PO had installed the old seal the wrong way round, which probably accounted for some of the oil leak!  I also fitted a Speedi Sleeve on the pulley (SKF CR99174) as it was scored.

Steve