One front disk brake runs hot

Erik - you can send David Ferry a PM (Personal Message) on the Forum - his user name is "David Ferry".  Just click on the envelope to the left of your name at top right of the screen.

Ian Cornish

To ntc: I checked the discs, they are perfectly true, not a iota of warp.

To ianc: I got hold of David Ferry, we are in contact.

I finaly got the pistons partly out: I reconnected the caliper to the brake hose and had my wife pump nthe brakes. The good piston came out, the other stayed stuck. I then put clamps on the good one and started pumping again to get the bad one unstuck.

I had to stop in time to avoid brake fluid allover the place.

Now the caliper is back in the vice, but both pistons remain stuck solid. Any suggestions how to remove? By force, hammer and screwdriver, vice clamp,..?

IMG_20210716_121826.jpg

Edited by earckens

They look scrap, beat them out with a chisel... Or split the 2 caliper halves and grab the piston in a vice & lever the caliper body off..

The Bigg Red kit includes the seals that go between the caliper halves.

When the pistons are scrap like that I weld a bar across the piston and lever them out like that.

Stuart.

24 minutes ago, ctc77965o said:

They look scrap, beat them out with a chisel... Or split the 2 caliper halves and grab the piston in a vice & lever the caliper body off..

The Bigg Red kit includes the seals that go between the caliper halves.

Your last suggestion is what I did just now.

Where do I find this Bigg Red kit?

See picture: should the inner side be just cleaned (perchloro-ethylene or similar)? Or thoroughly wire-brushed, or other?

Grts,

Erik

IMG_20210716_131446.jpg

Edited by earckens
3 minutes ago, ntc said:

Just buy new callipers they are not expensive 

I agree, those are scrap unless you want to have them refurbished and the costs are about the same.

Stuart.

From Moss:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/brake-calipers-tr4-6.html

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/brake-caliper-set-bcc-front-black-pair-bcc104.html

About ten times price difference: which one?

From Rimmers:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-307976R

These are same price as new, but reconditioned with a 120 pound exchange surcharge, refundable on return of my faulty calipers

Edited by earckens
readability
2 minutes ago, earckens said:

I wish we had these kind of people here in France, especially the south.

I have to make do with your advice on this fantastic forum.

Sorry forgot your location !

hopefully of use to others. 

Would these people tell you who they use !

https://www.garageandreas.com

17 hours ago, earckens said:

See picture: should the inner side be just cleaned (perchloro-ethylene or similar)? Or thoroughly wire-brushed, or other?

You can clean up those caliper halves using a wire brush on the outside and some fine wire wool on the inside, take care to get that inner groove clean...that's where the main seal sits.

Assemble the new parts with lots of brake grease (special grease for brake systems). The pistons should push into the caliper/seal with hand pressure...don't force it in...you may damage the seal. 

The BiggRed kit is available from eBayb(see earlier in this thread)

I had the same problem with the left hand front caliper sticking and snatching (locking the wheel) when braking hard, the problem was the non return valve (if fitted) was sticking, it is designed to stop the pads moving back causing a low pedal when first braking, it is fitted after the tee piece to the rear brakes and contains a spring and ball bearing, I cleaned mine out but some people remove the internals completely, (this is assuming it is a tr4 with single pipe system..

Cheers Phil.. 

1 hour ago, lynchpin said:

I had the same problem with the left hand front caliper sticking and snatching (locking the wheel) when braking hard, the problem was the non return valve (if fitted) was sticking, it is designed to stop the pads moving back causing a low pedal when first braking, it is fitted after the tee piece to the rear brakes and contains a spring and ball bearing, I cleaned mine out but some people remove the internals completely, (this is assuming it is a tr4 with single pipe system..

Cheers Phil.. 

Hi Phil, yes this is a TR4, with single piping and with the non-return valve fitted.

Will be on to-do list (cleaning out).

But here the calipers are up for renewal. Just today I received the order from Rimmers.

Funny thing is they were delivered ...... customs' charges :).

Edited by earckens
Grammar
7 minutes ago, earckens said:

Funny thing is they were delivered without any customs' charges :).

ssssshhhhhhh don't remind them !!!