TR4 caliper seal

Ron,

If that’s the O ring that goes between the two halves of the caliper then they don’t supply it because you are not supposed to pull the two halves apart!

I was once almost thrown out of a Girling spares shop because I confessed to splitting the two halves. The shop man got into a terrible rage as if I’d done something highly illegal

(That was in the 1970’s mind you. If he had shouted at me today I could probably sue him for emotional distress.)

There has been mention of this before on the forum. I think it comes down to the fact that the torque for the bolts for the two halves is unknown.

Maybe do a search, or wait and someone will come up with the details.

Or maybe you are asking about a different O ring…

Charlie

Thanks for the replies chaps, it is the square section seal as you said Stuart apparently girling don't like you splitting them because of H and S concerns, I have seen an article which states 70 on the big bolts and 40 on the small ones . Maybe that's why the angry shop gentleman was kicking off, or did he see a fee disappearing ? B)

Regards

Ron

It’s one of those things that for some reason gets perpetuated.

There is no reason not to split the caliper and replace the seals. As with all brake works care and cleanliness is important, but it is just a seal like any other. I have never understood why they are so hard to obtain other than to to keep work for those supplying exchange items.

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Ron,

If that’s the O ring that goes between the two halves of the caliper then they don’t supply it because you are not supposed to pull the two halves apart!

I was once almost thrown out of a Girling spares shop because I confessed to splitting the two halves. The shop man got into a terrible rage as if I’d done something highly illegal

(That was in the 1970’s mind you. If he had shouted at me today I could probably sue him for emotional distress.)

There has been mention of this before on the forum. I think it comes down to the fact that the torque for the bolts for the two halves is unknown.

Maybe do a search, or wait and someone will come up with the details.

Or maybe you are asking about a different O ring…

Charlie

EBC do an vented disc kit. These come with the square section seal. They also do not know the torque loading of the bolts.

I applied 60lb.ft (per the instructions) and the bolts began to stretch (their rubber bolts). 

When I contacted them they said 'well, try 50lb.ft)  50 worked but t was only a guess.

You do need Hi grade bolts.

Roger

these are pretty much the same girling callipers as the daimler sp250 and i split these when i fixed the brakes on mine.

this is in their service book with torque figures if you want related confirmation.

DF43B21B-0B7E-4308-85E0-B9FD1B608E07.jpeg

E460171B-8BB3-4853-BDBD-49DE92B997E8.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pics
46 minutes ago, Hamish said:

these are pretty much the same girling callipers as the daimler sp250 and i split these when i fixed the brakes on mine.

this is in their service book with torque figures if you want related confirmation.

DF43B21B-0B7E-4308-85E0-B9FD1B608E07.jpeg

E460171B-8BB3-4853-BDBD-49DE92B997E8.jpeg

Note ! They are fitted grease lubricated, those torque figures need another 15-20% if dry.

Mick Richards

On 7/12/2021 at 8:27 PM, RogerH said:

EBC do an vented disc kit. These come with the square section seal. They also do not know the torque loading of the bolts.

I applied 60lb.ft (per the instructions) and the bolts began to stretch (their rubber bolts). 

When I contacted them they said 'well, try 50lb.ft)  50 worked but t was only a guess.

You do need Hi grade bolts.

Roger

Do they still do that?
I tried to get a replacement set of discs from them and they denied they ever supplied them!

Big Red also supply the spacer its for use with the calipers when used on Fords, but that's an expensive way of buying the seals alone!

Moss sell the square section o rings the part number is 583-820

If you look on the net to "Buckeye  Triumphs" and read their article about splitting and re formulating front calipers they quote this part number and I have in the past got some and done the deed on my calipers and they seem Ok

I think I had to ring and ask for the part number

Hope this helps

Michael H

Edited by MichaelH