Overdrive Switch

Hello All,

I have just had an interesting conversation with a supplier regarding the overdrive switch on a TR6.

I have had my car for just over 12 months & is without overdrive. I spoke to a potential supplier re. pricing up a new box with J type overdrive + ancillaries (mine is a 1974 ex. US car)

I told him that I would prefer the switch to be on the gear lever as I had a 1972 TR6 (obviously with the A type overdrive on 2,3 and 4) with the gear lever switch.

He insisted that the gear lever switch had never been fitted to a TR6 but was on the big saloons. I owned my 1st TR6 in 1976 so the car was only 4 years old & I can't believe that it would have been modified at such a young age.

Can someone shed so me light on this?

Many Thanks

Brian

39 minutes ago, Brian Turner said:

Hello All,

I have just had an interesting conversation with a supplier regarding the overdrive switch on a TR6.

I have had my car for just over 12 months & is without overdrive. I spoke to a potential supplier re. pricing up a new box with J type overdrive + ancillaries (mine is a 1974 ex. US car)

I told him that I would prefer the switch to be on the gear lever as I had a 1972 TR6 (obviously with the A type overdrive on 2,3 and 4) with the gear lever switch.

He insisted that the gear lever switch had never been fitted to a TR6 but was on the big saloons. I owned my 1st TR6 in 1976 so the car was only 4 years old & I can't believe that it would have been modified at such a young age.

Many Thanks

Brian

It had been modified.

Stuart.

57 minutes ago, Brian Turner said:

Hello All,

Many Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

welcome to the forum. 

The two previous answers are spot on.  Both are long time experts on all things TR - honest

Roger

TBH Having driven manual XJ6 for many years I like the gear lever switch and had my momentary switch on the stick in the TR for quite a few years though its currently on a flick switch on the dash again as there was a wiring problem.

Stuart.

I recently changed mine to a stick switch (modified sedan lever) as I struggled with the standard column mounted switch located behind the indicator switch.  I won't be swapping back in a hurry :)

• 2 weeks later...

I installed an O/D switch on the shift knob and repurposed the column stalk as a headlight high/low switch - way more convenient than the floor button under the clutch pedal. The floor button is now an ignition interruptor switch as an additional security measure.

Edited by Litespud