Some basic help for sidescreen noobs

Has the TR register (or anybody else) made a guide for new and totally uninitiated sidescreen TR owners? Can anybody post a link to such a web page? I'm thinking of writing such a web page, but if somebody else has already done it, then I don't want to duplicate their work.

I think Teri Ann is the nearest to this

http://www.tr3a.info

there are plenty of individual sites. 
 Lots of video advice on rebuilds too like 

https://youtube.com/c/cheftush

https://youtube.com/c/ElinYakov

general TR hands on advice for most TR’s

perhaps a web site linking all this up ?

but then doesn’t that happen on here ?

great idea and one stop shop :D

14 hours ago, oxf2 said:

Has the TR register (or anybody else) made a guide for new and totally uninitiated sidescreen TR owners? Can anybody post a link to such a web page? I'm thinking of writing such a web page, but if somebody else has already done it, then I don't want to duplicate their work.

On a serious note, what helped get me started was watching cheftush's videos on his 1959 restoration from beginning to end and then watching Bob rebuild his engine.  Those two sources were key to understanding the car.  When you add in all the individual bits help along the way this Forum does a very good job of this already.  You go were the experts are in any situation.  I am not sure I would sit down and read Sidescreens for Dummies, although I bet there are a few that wish I had. :lol: And the social aspect of the forum makes it that much more enjoyable.  That said, I did Read Bill Piggott's Sidescreen books from cover to cover.

BTW Graham J has a frame off project going that is terrific to track.  https://www.triumphexp.com/journal/1955-Triumph-TR2-Project-TS7831L.6259/

Edited by David Owen

I've been thinking about this a bit and a better TR2/3 manual would be an excellent contribution.  Although available knowledge is one thing, if you could tie it into this forum you would add the very necessary wisdom that people come here for. 

I think there is probably a number of different-but-similar ideas that really ought to be realised: My own idea of a basic do-and-don't for absolute noobs; a better manual, available online. Maybe even static or stickied such pages hosted here on the sub forum.

Teri Ann has got a lot of really great information up, but I reckon her links pages are a bit higgledy piggledy, and not well adjusted for noobs. I say again though, just to be clear, Teri Ann has put a helluva lot of really great content up, much more than I'll ever do.

It's hard knowing how another person is going to apprehend a web page. One persons idea of a great resource is another persons hellscape of unintelligible tech-speak, images, links, seemingly unhelpful anecdotes, and so on.

I think for my idea of the Absolute Noob Guide, it's best to keep it simple, with text advice, links to explanations, and few images.

Edited by oxf2
grammar crime.
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a start: http://nike-of-samothrace.net/t2n.html

If anybody can think of more must-know information for absolute never-touched-a-spanner-in-their-lives noobs, then please say. And should anybody wonder why I'm doing this, it's because I wanted to see a sort of "Ten things you need to know before driving a TR2" resource, but couldn't find one.

A link to Bob's engine rebuild thread.

A link to David Tushington's incomplete rebuild, I think there are 70 odd videos.

These two give you a very good overview/inside look at how the car is put together and where everything is.

good idea, a real noob guide, i could do with one, and as much as i liked Bobs engine rebuild i could have done with a more step by step guide on how to do it otherwise i will end up taking it to a engine rebuilder and i would rather have the experience of doing it myself. with lots of pictures please.

As a forward for those who really have never touched a spanner in their lives the first Port of call would be the local technical college adult learning dept courses.

They often have DIY motor mechanics for beginners. this a basic understanding. and a good leap off point. The instructors tend to be mature guys that remember the days before module change mechanicing.

To be honest if you have never done much if any DIY car maintenance you could be looking at a significant expense in tools purchase as a hammer, chisel and a tape measure wont really cut it.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
On 7/14/2021 at 3:01 PM, David Owen said:

I've been thinking about this a bit and a better TR2/3 manual would be an excellent contribution.  Although available knowledge is one thing, if you could tie it into this forum you would add the very necessary wisdom that people come here for. 

What is wrong with the pinned links that David Bee started?

This link finds the Moss printed parts catalogue with all the tech tips we added plus it links to 5 pdf docs of the TR2/3 wsm

http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr-pdf-downloads.html

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, Rodbr said:

As a forward for those who really have never touched a spanner in their lives the first Port of call would be the local technical college adult learning dept courses.

They often have DIY motor mechanics for beginners. this a basic understanding. and a good leap off point. The instructors tend to be mature guys that remember the days before module change mechanicing.

To be honest if you have never done much if any DIY car maintenance you could be looking at a significant expense in tools purchase as a hammer, chisel and a tape measure wont really cut it.

Rod

well all i have in the way of tools are the ones you mentioned, so i am really well and truly buggered

3 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Rod

:lol:  I now own things I didn't even know existed 12 months ago.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What is wrong with the pinned links that David Bee started?

This link finds the Moss printed parts catalogue with all the tech tips we added plus it links to 5 pdf docs of the TR2/3 wsm

http://tr4a.weebly.com/triumph-tr-pdf-downloads.html

Peter W

Well, after a year of making a lot of mistakes and learning that does not seem so overwhelming to me now.  I took one look at it when I first joined the forum and someone linked me to it and I ran and never went back.  I think I have enough experience under my belt now to actually do the TR2 course.

Thank you for pointing me back in that direction.

Edited by David Owen

The David Bee thread is a really good link, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for pointing it out Peter.

As for tools, I have certainly paid out on that front in the last few years, from a standing start. It would be nice if we could get a list of decent suppliers, although I see many of the trusty old names that made good gear when my father was a young man are now being bought out by less scrupulous manufacturers, meaning that you buy tools you think you can trust, that turn out to be made of very poor -- even dangerously poor -- materials. This is a sad state of affairs, and after a few bad experiences with new tools, I find I get good gear now buying old second-hand tools from ebay. And even then, one has to be careful!

Also, thanks Hamish for the links to chef tush and Elin Yakov. Nothing better that good videos :)

My Halfords advance set together with their imperial  spanner set very useful. 

On 7/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, oxf2 said:

The David Bee thread is a really good link, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for pointing it out Peter.

As for tools, I have certainly paid out on that front in the last few years, from a standing start. It would be nice if we could get a list of decent suppliers, although I see many of the trusty old names that made good gear when my father was a young man are now being bought out by less scrupulous manufacturers, meaning that you buy tools you think you can trust, that turn out to be made of very poor -- even dangerously poor -- materials. This is a sad state of affairs, and after a few bad experiences with new tools, I find I get good gear now buying old second-hand tools from ebay. And even then, one has to be careful!

Also, thanks Hamish for the links to chef tush and Elin Yakov. Nothing better that good videos :)

I agree with you Oxf2 on video demonstrations!

That is certainly a gap in the Bonanza Collection I want to fill over time. Meantime, I would describe myself as a (stubborn) Noob, or a Noob Numbskull, which is the reason why I began putting into one thread the links I come across in the Forum, to get my head around lots of technical issues. Consequently, I plan to also follow up with youtube resources, where words and visuals combine to make things less complicated to understand, especially for those with little or no engineering background.

If anyone who is reading this post would like to contribute, just PM me the links you come across with a one-line description and I shall add them to the Bonanza Collection.

Looking back to the beginning of this thread and your question:

"Has the TR register (or anybody else) made a guide for new and totally uninitiated sidescreen TR owners?"

I agree with Bob. I also liked the idea that we can help support new or prospective TR owners with a sort of one-stop guide. Why?

Because I associate it with the need to make these TRs more accessible to new people, and appealing, by spreading the knowledge and experience reflected in this Forum. The Bonanza Collection is, at best, a (perfectible) springboard for something like a PDF booklet, an orientation guide covering all the TRs, with basic maintenance, trouble-shooting advice, dos and donts, with amap of sources of spare parts supply.

It could be a TR Register publication, perhaps? The result of a collaborative effort, tapping into all that extraordinary accumulated experience, and consolidating it into priorities of what a newcomer needs to know. A buyer's guide combined with a maintenance guide. Not a TR encyclopedia, but an orientation, to establish all the basics, a mapping of need to know basics you can build on.

Meantime, I plan to continue adding to the Bonanza Collection. Naturally, I don't claim any ownership. It's no more than a crossroads of data. It is purely a hub, authored by all those brilliant people who took the trouble to write the original material.

David

Edited by DavidBee

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sceptic on this, it is too broad a question.

A one stop guide to include what? What is basic advice? What problems are trying to be solved? Does it start with the layout and function of the dashboard, or does it describe the problems and solutions for the carbies, ignition, cylinder heads? There are literally thousands of issues that we learn as we own and work on these cars.

The workshop manual is an excellent document and there are other publications on tuning, racing, body repairs, rebuilds of various components. There must be tens of thousands of pages written on just about everything to do with maintaining TRs. A youtube search often finds videos on various jobs.

The Register website has a guide to things to look for when buying a TR but it doesn't attempt to tell you how to maintain or develop the car.

First a definition of "a guide for new and totally uninitiated sidescreen TR owners" is needed.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but The Technicalities CD or it’s equivalent in the members section also covers many well known TR foibles and saves reinventing the wheel. 

Iain

6 hours ago, iain said:

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but The Technicalities CD or it’s equivalent in the members section also covers many well known TR foibles and saves reinventing the wheel. 

Iain

Does it deal with the jargon? 

I believe it does, it was written by owners and enthusiasts in the formative years of the Register. Often accompanied by excellent drawings and comments. Very much the predecessor of the technical forum, from the days of typewriters, hand illustration and lots of enthusiastic contributions. Login to the members area and check it out.

Iain