Reverse gear problems

Hi All, I do experience an annoying problem with my reverse gear (especially in warmed up condition). All gears can be engaged without problem just the reverse.

Could it still be an clutch adjustment issue or something eles ?

Advise appreciated.

Cheers

Oliver

Have you checked the free movement on the clutch slave cylinder rod?  If that is excessive it might cause it. 

However - if this is something that has suddenly started to happen, one possibility is the gearbox cross-shaft pin. When mine broke, the first symptom was difficulty in selecting reverse gear. 

Thanks Rob, have already planned to check the clutch adjustment tomorrow. I can say that it only is present in warmed up condition and for reverse only….

Do have a 3 synchro or a 4 synchro gearbox ?  if the latter, then reverse is the only gear not to have synchromesh, which could cause it to "crunch" if the clutch was dragging.

Bob.

Clutch adjustment is easy to check so is the first port of call.

My son always had difficulty getting my TR2 into reverse. I put it down to a knack to do it as I had few problems. I eventually adjusted the clutch properly and lo and behold it slips into all gears much better.

29 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Simple to do and always good practice anyway is to first go into 2nd prior to reverse… give it a go, nothing to lose.

Agree. It is a habit for me going into reverse and 1st.

+1

1) Clutch down, and hold it down until step 4
2) Put gear stick into second gear position
3) Put gear stick into reverse position
4) Clutch can then be released.

Well worth trying.

15 hours ago, Moliver said:

Hi All, I do experience an annoying problem with my reverse gear (especially in warmed up condition). All gears can be engaged without problem just the reverse.

Could it still be an clutch adjustment issue or something eles ?

Advise appreciated.

Cheers

Oliver

You do know you should lift the gear stick to engage reverse. It does engage easier then.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Simple to do and always good practice anyway is to first go into 2nd prior to reverse… give it a go, nothing to lose.

4 hours ago, oxf2 said:

+1

1) Clutch down, and hold it down until step 4
2) Put gear stick into second gear position
3) Put gear stick into reverse position
4) Clutch can then be released.

Well worth trying.

What effect does this have?

You are using the synchromesh of 2nd gear to stop the gears spinning, then quickly engaging reverse while they are still not spinning.

Bob.