I have decided to part with my TR6 to make way for something else. It isn't likely anybody on here will wish to buy it but I thought you may be interested in the car and the asking price here in Australia.

I'd be interested to know if the UK TR6 market would be similar. My asking price is $50,000.

Triumph TR6 February 1970 CP PI (Commission CP51049) a Sydney delivered 150BHP car. It is what is termed a survivor car in that it has not been restored, just maintained.

It has:

• J type overdrive operating on 3rd and 4th,
  • CR engine block (installed before 1990 reason unknown),
  • Bosch fuel pump,
  • all new poly suspension bushes,
  • rebuilt steering rack,
  • new front and rear shock absorbers (the rear telescopics on properly braced chassis mounts),
  • near new CV rear axles,
  • new thrust bearings with a new oil pump (the bearing cap removed for the thrust washers showed no signs of wear),
  • diff mounts repaired and reinforced,
  • electronic ignition (new),
  • excellent hard top and near new John Skinner soft top,
  • tonneau and hood bow cover,
  • seats repadded,
  • near new John Skinner carpets,
  • walnut dash in excellent condition,
  • good tyres,
  • rust proofed in the 90s and garage stored since.

I bought the car from a Triumph club member who used it rarely for about 3 years. The previous owner to him owned the car for about 20 years and, as he lived overseas, the car only did a few thousand kms in his long ownership. The complete maintenance records from 1990 come with the car.

In 1990 the odometer had 41,000 miles on it, it now has 59,000.  The extensive records show this as being correct usage over the last 31 years. With the later J type od gearbox the current reading is lower than it should be so actual total odometer mileage would be approximately 70,000. This may well be genuine as 41,000 in 1990 could well be correct or close to it.

The condition of the paint, interior and body supports low usage.

The car drives superbly and is as close to rattle free as is possible with a TR6. It uses no oil (apart from small leaks); oil pressure hot is 35 at idle and 70 at cruise. The ride, power and handling are wonderful.

The less attractive things:

• The door windows have scratches on them.
  • The passenger door has cosmetic rust bubbles. I have used cavity wax extensively and the bubbles haven’t changed in my ownership.
  • The repaint in the 90s was external and didn’t include the door shuts, engine bay etc.
  • The heater works but the blower motor needs repair.

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Shouldn’t take long to sell that one John. 
good luck. 

17 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

A sound well cared for TR. That's about  £26,882 in GB pounds...bit on the high side by British prices! I think my equally good, low miles CP Pi car is probably worth about £18,000 here. Good luck.

exactly. You're into a recently restored car in the UK for 27k. I have no idea what Australian market is like though, presumably less cars there so higher prices

16 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

A sound well cared for TR. That's about  £26,882 in GB pounds...bit on the high side by British prices! I think my equally good, low miles CP Pi car is probably worth about £18,000 here. Good luck.

Thanks for that. About what I expected. 

There are two ex US cars for sale here at $49,500 and $46,500. Both nice cars. Another restored PI is for sale at $65,000. What they end up selling for is the question.

I did most of the work myself keeping costs down so I'd be happy with near offers.

It will be interesting what interest I get.

4 minutes ago, mtrehy said:

exactly. You're into a recently restored car in the UK for 27k. I have no idea what Australian market is like though, presumably less cars there so higher prices

We got a lot of PIs so there are a good number here. We also seem to have quite a few ex US cars.

Most cars here are rust free, a positive, but the original Lucas fuel pump was hopeless in our heat so they got a bad reputation when new. A negative.

Classic cars have become popular here with the virus, people can't do what they might want like travel so want to spend their money on something.

Or I might have too high expectations!

You should be right, in the last 18 months or so , since CV19  locked down Australia's borders, the price of British classics has  increased by 50% and Australian classics like V8 Holdens by at least 100%.

Last Thursday I had to increase the insurance cover on my old Holden Statesman by a factor of 3- and I'd still be struggling to buy a replacement even at that level.

19 hours ago, Mike C said:

You should be right, in the last 18 months or so , since CV19  locked down Australia's borders, the price of British classics has  increased by 50% and Australian classics like V8 Holdens by at least 100%.

Last Thursday I had to increase the insurance cover on my old Holden Statesman by a factor of 3- and I'd still be struggling to buy a replacement even at that level.

Got an offer today from Melbourne at the asking price. Sight unseen. He looked me up online so knows I'm not likely to rip him off.