How to remove Ethanol from Unleaded Fuel

AndrewMaston

Is this your video?

Is that white container approved for petroleum storage? if not then  you are taking a massive risk,( don't forget your  home insurance will be voided if its not) if there is a fire.

I know Ethanol loves Aluminium, there are corrosion inhibiters that are added to prevent this, also what are you doing with the water, I hope that's being disposed of properly and not just thrown down the drain, nice to have that making its way back into the drinking water. or even worse put into your nearest water course.

Just Like Lebro says look out for Esso supreme 99 Ron its ethanol free if its come from one of Esso's terminals 

Edited by Clarkey

Hey Clarkey, Just saying, but that's a little strong, don't you think?

As I purchase between 50 and 60 litres of fuel each time I fill 4VC's tank, I wouldn't want to go through that performance each time.

Surely, it's easier (and quite cheap) to replace the SU's carburettor floats and the sections of rubber hose for the types which are not attacked by Ethanol, and then, as Bob says, buy fuel which is either free of Ethanol or has a very low Ethanol content.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hey Clarkey, Just saying, but that's a little strong, don't you think?

He works in the petroleum industry so does know what he`s talking about regarding the HSE implications

Stuart.

10 hours ago, stuart said:

He works in the petroleum industry so does know what he`s talking about regarding the HSE implications

Fair enough. Not querying his safety observations, only the implication that it was Andrew who made the video. I'm glad our 98RON is all ethanol-free here in Oz.

John

It seems a lot of hassle to remove the ethanol and impractical when touring.

If you are potentially losing 10% of your fuel each time with E10 it is probably easier to swap your flats and pipework or buy ethanol free fuel.

I suppose you could get the coloured water/ethanol tested for toxic remains from the process and see if fit for drinking. Is that what WKD blue is when a bit of soda steam CO2 added?

It is a bit of a reverse of what we occasionally did when I was a kid in Norway when the wet weather would mean outboard motor's 2 stroke fuel would sometimes suffer from water contamination and we would tip meths into the fuel. Not sure how effective it was.

Another point to consider is that by removing the ethanol you are reducing the octane rating of the fuel, so you may pay for a gallon of 95 RON E10 and end up with 7.2 pints of 92 RON.  

6 minutes ago, RobH said:

Another point to consider is that by removing the ethanol you are reducing the octane rating of the fuel, so you may pay for a gallon of 95 RON E10 and end up with 7.2 pints of 92 RON.  

In the video he adds Valvemaster to compensate for the octane drop.

About the video, I wouldn't trust a guy who

- add water in fuel and make a video of it, 

- has got such clean tools.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 AM, Andy Moltu said:

In the video he adds Valvemaster to compensate for the octane drop.

I'm curious about that. I understood VM was intended to protect against the valve seat recession risk from removal of tetraethyl lead, not as an octane replacement. How much would you need to raise the RON by a couple of points? By way of reference, when we still had leaded petrol here, but only as 95RON, the local Shell technical department recommended I add 10% toluene to bring the RON up to ~98. I can't find any data on how much the 1ml/1l VM treatment raises the octane. Anyone know?

John

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm curious about that. I understood VM was intended to protect against the valve seat recession risk from removal of tetraethyl lead, not as an octane replacement. How much would you need to raise the RON by a couple of points? By way of reference, when we still had leaded petrol here, but only as 95RON, the local Shell technical department recommended I add 10% toluene to bring the RON up to ~98. I can't find any data on how much the 1ml/1l VM treatment raises the octane. Anyone know?

John

I don't think it does now - no mention of it here. https://classicvalvemaster.co.uk/products

I found this reference to Classic Valvemaster Plus. Amazing stuff - it includes "...a friction modifier Octimise-Plus within its formula, providing instantaneous acceleration by up to 3%." . <sarcasm> 3%? Wow. Oil clearly doesn't cut it when it comes to reducing friction. Much cheaper than that Phoenix exhaust, as well.</sarcasm>. To be fair, there is a link to an explanation of how the friction modifier works, but it does beg the question of what baseline it's in comparison with. Most (all?) modern oils come with all sorts of fancy additive packages aimed at things like...friction reduction.

Can anyone shed any light? Sorry, I know this is heading rapidly into thread drift!

John

Lots of "octane boosters" available, some at ludicrous prices.    I mean Redex  Octane (Petrol) Booster @ about a tenner, that will treat four tankfulls.    Probably best value is Silkolene, £13 for a litre, that will raise the octane number by 2 at 1.5%, or 4 at 2%.  

But messing about and trying to second guess the professional distillers at Shell, generating many litres of contaminated water, and a great deal of risking manual petrol handling?   Better get your fuel system  rebuilt with alcohol  resistant rubber everywhere!

JOhn

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Lots of "octane boosters" available, some at ludicrous prices.    I mean Redex  Octane (Petrol) Booster @ about a tenner, that will treat four tankfulls.    Probably best value is Silkolene, £13 for a litre, that will raise the octane number by 2 at 1.5%, or 4 at 2%.  

But messing about and trying to second guess the professional distillers at Shell, generating many litres of contaminated water, and a great deal of risking manual petrol handling?   Better get your fuel system  rebuilt with alcohol  resistant rubber everywhere!

JOhn

Also most of these additives generate additional deposits inside the combustion chambers which may have a detrimental effect in the longer term.

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Hamish!   What is your CR??      V-power at 99 octane should be fine up to 10.5!

JOhn

its not a lot 9.8 may be - i use it really for the lead replacement and up to E10 protection.

won't bother with it in with the new engine.

7 hours ago, Lebro said:

Or use Esso 99 octane

Yes agreed, but they (Esso) can change that without prior notice. The pump is labelled E5 so their future intentions are clear.

E5 means that the petrol CAN contain up to 5% ethanol, it is not a legal requirement for it to do so.

From the Esso web site:

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

Bob