How to know when you're getting old

"When the junk of your youth, becomes the collector's pieces of the present".

Jack Hargreaves reminisces on times past.

I remember sitting down with Dad back in the '80s, tuning in to "Old Country" on Channel 4, watching Jack in his shed, puffing on a pipe and imparting wisdom.

It seemed a peaceful corner of the TV broadcasting universe, even then.  

Whoever said it, was right . . . "the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there".

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
  • Deggers changed the title to How to know when you're getting old

I remember him on “ out of town”

country life through his eyes was great and as a young angler I loved it and attribute my love of all angling  course sea and game and a love of the countryside to him and my grandad 

this is me (on the left) with brother and grandad off fishing  circa 1969. Wargrave on the Thames. It’s a pass time that has stuck with me ever since

E1622472-FAB0-4B4C-B64B-37EF742B66D0.jpeg

What a wonderful photograph Hamish.

Timeless.

Reminds me of Dad and me, heading off to the River Tamar on a Sunday afternoon. Bamboo rods, Hardy fly reel, a flask of sweet tea and a bag of sandwiches.

Hmm, I'm sure afternoons used to last longer back then.

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
On 7/9/2021 at 10:51 PM, Hamish said:

I remember him on “ out of town”

country life through his eyes was great and as a young angler I loved it and attribute my love of all angling  course sea and game and a love of the countryside to him and my grandad 

this is me (on the left) with brother and grandad off fishing  circa 1969. Wargrave on the Thames. It’s a pass time that has stuck with me ever since

A great photo Hamish. I remember avidly watching Out of Town and one time Jack Hargreaves saying "If you want to get your son interested in fishing, make sure the first time to take him somewhere he's guaranteed to catch a fish in the first five minutes and he'll be hooked for life" or something very like that. Unfortunately my dad took me somewhere where I got cold and bored and no fish for hours! Funnily enough I never took up fishing.

Cheers, Richard