Freeing agents, liquids

A general question that would help me and others perhaps? 

What freeing agents do must of us use, and perhaps more importantly where can they be bought.

Are there one or two that stand out above the rest.  I know WD is readily available, but not sure that its for the real stubborn rusty items, but does sort of work sometimes.

I know of Plus Gas from long ago, but have not seen it at parts counters, where's the best place to purchase.

I've heard also of freezing products but not knowing, are some better than others, precautions with use also perhaps.

John

Hi Join,

In my experience WD40 is pretty close to useless as a freeing agent, Plus Gas is great, available from Euro Car Parts & Halfords, equally good (if not better) and cheap as chips is diesel, brush it on, soak it or whatever, works a treat!

Richard.

Screwfix sell Plus Gas John.  There's also  Shock & Unlock from Halfords ( they don't seem to have Plus Gas any more).  

+1 for diesel - works well if you leave it to soak for a while. 

22 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

Hi Join,

In my experience WD40 is pretty close to useless as a freeing agent, Plus Gas is great, available from Euro Car Parts & Halfords, equally good (if not better) and cheap as chips is diesel, brush it on, soak it or whatever, works a treat!

Richard.

+1 for both assessments.

I've found WD40 is really good for cleaning my engine compartment. In days of old it was great for dispelling water on traditional mini ignition leads.

But for freeing Plusgas is excellent, in a totally different league.

I am still working through the box of Moovit I was given 35 years ago.  I have still a couple of cans left.

Damn good stuff, certainly in the plus-gas league.

image.png.21b5d658a773953483ed127eddf98edc.png

https://prairiebearingshop.com/moovit-penetrating-fluid-350g-aerosol-11014/

I have found WD 40 to be of little or no use for seized bolts etc.

As suggested above .....  Never tried but am assured acetone and atf does the business.

image.png.445a80ec3f16534f27da26fe490b2603.png

Thank you everybody for the info on the liquids, I do have plenty of ATF left over so will make some of that mix up. Does anybody have the info on the freezing products which is best to use?

John

On 7/9/2021 at 6:12 PM, glasgow4a said:

Make your own 50% ATF and 50% Acetone, works very well, cheers Ian.

+ 1

This side by side comparison (which some of you may have seen before) also backs that up.

Deggers

• 1 month later...

I have tried without success to find PlusGas, from Halfords or Screw fix, but did find it in person at Classic Oils in Bicester,  http://penriteclassicoils.co.uk/  but didnt find it on their site, may be worth a phone call if somebody is looking for this product specifically.

John

Edited by John L

Ive used quite a few of these, including the ATF mix, and don't really see a standout. In fact, looking at the half dozen or so YouTube "shootouts", aimed at answering the question once and for all, they all seem to come to different conclusions.

I use whatever is handiest.  Sometimes It works, sometimes it doesn't.

Ed

Plus Gas for small stuff Diesel for big stuff

for Lockdown i bought a derelict Honda CB550 from 1974 that had been standing for more than 20 years and had a siezed engine.

my first action was to put a little Diesel in each cylinder and after 3 days the motor freed up beautifully

steve

Just as a point of interest the WD in WD40 stands for water dispersant.

Harvey

John, it depends just how clean one wants to get the parts.

Petrol works well, but is nasty stuff to use and one has to be careful not to cause a spark! 

Paraffin is works well, but leaves a slight film, which can be helpful (reduces risk of immediate rusting), or a nuisance because further washing may be required to achieve complete cleansing.

Gunk removes most of the really disgusting muck, and is very useful in truly filthy situations, but leaves a coating.  One has to consider carefully what is going to happen to the fluid and dirt being hosed off.

Ian Cornish

Hi John,

for de-greasing I use Wynnes brake & Clutch cleaner in the aerosol can.   You can get it as cheap as £2.50 a can (box of 12) or £7+  Halfords.

You can get it cheaper if you get a 5Ltr can

It is an excellent de-greaser and leaves no residue.

Roger

I use "Hyperclean"  It works well at de-greasing, & can hosed of with water. I use in my parts washer, & for bigger items in my air powered  "parafin" spray gun.

Bob.