Hi all, I was replacing the oil seal on the diff and noticed a slight wear in the front bearing, is this difficult to replace ? will I have to take out the diff assembly ? or just live with the possibility of a slight oil leak at a later stage ? my mileage is very low. The tub is off so access is easy.

Regards

Ron

What makes you say there is slight wear in the front bearing?   Is it because it is loose now you have taken the flange off and seal out? If so refit the flange, torque the nut and re check bearing ‘wear’. 
If that bearing is visibly worn and has visible damage to the race/track you will need to strip the diff to renew the bearing and reset the pinion bearing’s  preload.

Not a job I would attempt with the axle fitted.  The half shafts need to come out both sides so the diff carrier can be removed to allow the pinion to be withdrawn.  So probably easier on the bench.

Peter W

Hi Peter , thanks for the reply, the flange is off and the seal is out and there is slight movement of the shaft, I was going to take out the half shafts anyway to renew the seals as they are the originals. do I need special tools to remove the diff and replace the bearing ? I will probably do as you suggest and put the seal and the flange back and the assess the movement and then decide.

Regards

Ron

Refit the flange and torque the nut back up.   I expect all the bearing / pinion movement will disappear    This is because you will be re tightening the two taper bearings to their intended original setting    

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT