Jump to content

Accuspark Distributor


Recommended Posts

I have "Powerspark" distributor in both my Austin van and the TR3a, probably made in the same factory, they are working well enough, however neither have done great mileages so I cannot testify as to their long term durability. Seem well enough made. 

Ralph

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got one, had it for a while and it works OK with the electronic trigger but the central rotor is a bit loose in the bearing so if for any reason you were to change to use points then I think you would get ignition scatter, I suppose you could install a new central bearing and make it work properly, other than that, for the money, they are OK.

Cheers Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jase said:

Are there alternatives?

Yep.  Get yours rebuilt.  

http://www.distributordoctor.com

 

or the programmable item from Holland

https://123ignition.com

Read this  for more info   

 

 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Malbaby said:

What about the "Powerspark UK" electronic distributors?

If your existing distributor is OK, you could buy the module from Powerspark to convert. Available as either Pos or Neg earth. Cheaper option so less import duties etc. I did this with my Vitesse and it works fine.

Ralph

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yep.  Get yours rebuilt.  

http://www.distributordoctor.com

 

or the programmable item from Holland

https://123ignition.com

Read this  for more info   

 

 

Im with You Peter, I always fit Distributor Doctor rebuilt ones to all my restos.

Stuart

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had ignition problems with my Powerspark electronic braker,

it worked very reliable but from time to time it failed without any obvious reason - and worked again after some time.

It needed some time to indicate the ignition problems on the Powerspark unit.

The problem properly was: I let the ignition switched ON anytime for any reason too long and the electric was damaged but not broken.

In the installation manual of the German supplier of the Pertronix 1 this is special pointed out:

"never let the ignition switched ON longer than 1 minute without the engine running".

From the basics Pertronix I and Powerspark work with "the same" electronic device.

So this is good to know when you want to buy one of the simple units

 

Edited by Z320
Link to post
Share on other sites

Malcolm, my distributor was rebuilt by Vic at Ignition Developments in Frankston using Bosch parts from a Mitsubishi Magna. It is a Hall effect system and parts are available from Repco etc. It has been very reliable and has done about 30k miles so far in all conditions. The car starts and runs very well and I do not have to reset points. Unfortunately, he has now retired. I wonder if a good quality auto electrician could do the same for you. 
I had a Lumenition system on my Citroen GS many years ago. It was a light beam system with a “chopper” to activate it. It failed on a hot day and I went back to the original distributor. I worry about the quality and backup of some after market systems compared with parts from major manufacturers like Bosch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 2:44 PM, trchris said:

I've the csi distributor from Moss fit and forget

Chris

I had a CSI and it was fine for a few years then I started getting a few ignition problems, missing etc. Eventually, although I could start the car, when out on the road one day I had a complete lack of power to get up the most moderate of inclines. Tried and replaced ignition leads, cap, coil etc, but no improvement. I then replaced the CSI with the original Lucas. Problem solved in respect of power loss, but I had Distributer Doctor rebuild the unit - it comes back like new - would never fit an electronic unit again. I reckon the automatic advance had failed in the CSI. I emailed CSI about the issue, I got no response!! For the same money DD rebuilt Lucas distributers every time, at least you have a chance of sorting an issue should it occur, with an electronic Distributer, if it fails your stuffed (unless you've bought two and have the spare in boot).

Rob

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobTR3 said:

I had a CSI and it was fine for a few years then I started getting a few ignition problems, missing etc. Eventually, although I could start the car, when out on the road one day I had a complete lack of power to get up the most moderate of inclines. Tried and replaced ignition leads, cap, coil etc, but no improvement. I then replaced the CSI with the original Lucas. Problem solved in respect of power loss, but I had Distributer Doctor rebuild the unit - it comes back like new - would never fit an electronic unit again. I reckon the automatic advance had failed in the CSI. I emailed CSI about the issue, I got no response!! For the same money DD rebuilt Lucas distributers every time, at least you have a chance of sorting an issue should it occur, with an electronic Distributer, if it fails your stuffed (unless you've bought two and have the spare in boot).

Rob

 

Hence why I fit rebuilt distributors by Distributor Doctor only.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

I have a Powerspark distributor and Accuspark coil fitted by the previous owner which have done about 7k. It has worked very well though recently my car started coughing and missing. Not 100% sure that it is dizzy related though seemed to improve briefly when I cleaned the rotor arm.

Talking to the Distributor Doctor, he suspects wear within the unit. I have bought a new rotor arm from him which I haven't tried due to self-isolation.

Unfortunately a replacement UK Lucas unit from him will be quite expensive as I do not have an original to part-ex. I would like to be sure that it is a dizzy issue before spending £200+ and a further £100+ if I go for a Pertronix set up.

Thoughts?

Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites

you could try an eBay accuspark unit for 35 quid ?

or a complete dizzy from accuspark for 70

sell them on if that's not the issue

or see if anyone has an original going spare to be rebuilt

there must be some around as people to swap to the likes of 123 etc

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2021 at 5:56 PM, stuart said:

Im with You Peter, I always fit Distributor Doctor rebuilt ones to all my restos.

Stuart

Dizzy Dr every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did have an Accuspark distributor on my 4A, fitted by the PO.  However,  I have just replaced it with a DD rebuilt Lucas unit, but with a full Lunenition system added, what a difference!  Not cheap, but very happy with the resulting smoothness and pick-up throughout the rev range.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be looking at other possibilities of your missfire before changing the distributor. with the electronic (hall effect) pickup even a sloppy shaft would not make much difference to the timing, as opposed to points which are much more sensitive.

Check HT leads, look for bad or loose connections on the 12 Volt run from ignition switch to coil, check the earth connection inside the distributor etc.

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ocheye said:

I would like to be sure that it is a dizzy issue

Get out your timing light and watch what happens to your timing mark as you rev it...if the mark jumps around then the dizzy is not performing....if the mark moves smoothly and reproducibly then the dizzy is doing what it should.

Certainly true that an accuspark or a lumenition or whatever are never gonna compensate for mechanical advance wear&tear...and only a little bit for shaft wear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The PO had installed a Pertronix “Ignitor” distributor in my 4A, which worked fine until it didn’t (without warning, the mechanical advance spring mount broke off). Rather than go with another electronic dizzy, I called the US based Lucas distributor specialist British Vacuum Unit. He sent me a rebuilt correct Lucas dizzy & points, pre set and curved. My car never ran so good!

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tr4aJim said:

The PO had installed a Pertronix “Ignitor” distributor in my 4A, which worked fine until it didn’t (without warning, the mechanical advance spring mount broke off). Rather than go with another electronic dizzy, I called the US based Lucas distributor specialist British Vacuum Unit. He sent me a rebuilt correct Lucas dizzy & points, pre set and curved. My car never ran so good!

Jim

Link.  https://www.britishvacuumunit.com/lucas-distributors-1.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.