Stromberg Question

Sort of getting to grips with these having spent most of my car life with SUs. I've solved my fuel problem, the needles were too low and I suddenly realised how the choke works :) 

The car runs very well and it's refreshing to drive now I'm progressing with everything. However, whilst my idle speed sits nicel at 800rpm I have no adjustment with my idle screws on each carb. They are literally screwed in all of the way. If I screw them out it starts to over rev (obviously :)). I've removed the joining tube between the two carbs and reset to make sure this was even other than that am I basically looking at refurbing them?

Thanks

Jase

Are your Strombergs the later type with bypass valves  and temperature compensators?

If so the odds are the bypass is out of adjustment, there has been an  article on the TR6 forum discussing this about a week ago. This https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/carburetors is a good article on Strombergs and may help

George 

Jase

On the right hand (front of car) side of the carb there may be a gizmo about 2" × 1/2" with a white or yellow plastic cover, (this is the temperature compensator) if so its a later carb with a bypass valve.

George 

Jase 

You have the earlier carbs so its not the bypass valve!

From your last photo you appear to have a couple of turns on the screw before you run out of adjustment, are  you sure its not the throttle linkage holding the butterflies open a bit

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

Jase 

You have the earlier carbs so its not the bypass valve!

From your last photo you appear to have a couple of turns on the screw before you run out of adjustment, are  you sure its not the throttle linkage holding the butterflies open a bit

George 

Thanks George, spot on advice, a little tweek to the bolt sat on top of the choke mechanism and it’s a reset, much better idle speed now.

thanks