Re-dustproofing a car dust cover

I've had my Moss, indoor dust cover over my TR6 for many years & it still looks as good as new. It's been cold washed using no detergent many times over the years but this seems to have reduced it's effectiveness in keeping out the dust & I've increasingly noticed the car gets covered in very fine dust particles when left for a while over winter. These are obviously so fine they are getting through the fabric & onto the car, anyone had this & know how to restore the cover to it's original dust proof effectiveness, maybe a Lanolin, Silicone solution or other magic potion to save me buying a new cover?  

Edited by Richard Crawley

Depends what it's made of. You might try a hairdryer. Sometimes it's the surface texture that changes. I do know that the waterproofing of Gore-Tex (and other ePTFE fabrics) can be restored by tumble-drying. May be the same for dust-proofing.

John 

On 7/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, john.r.davies said:

More likely, whatever originally sealed thr fabric is breaking down into small particles.   That's what you're seeing as 'dust'.

Wash in Nikwax Tech Wash that should re-proof it.

Bruce.

Unfortunately the "Wash & Go"  didn't work & I now think the dust is actually comming from the cooton fabric itself breaking down, so it seems to have had it. I've just spent a small fortune having the car professionally "refinished & detailed" as I can't be bothered any more (sad!) & so will be looking to get a new cover. I may need to store the car outside temporarily for a couple of months & so was thinking of a decent quality outdoor cover, assuming they can also be used inside when the TR eventually gets it's garage back; do they work equally as well inside? This leads to my next question for recomendations for a good quality car cover?

Get a custom sized multi layer cover so it fits tight, especially if it's going to be for outdoors..Loose fitting universal style will shift around when the wind blows and scuff  the paint.

Thanks John, re-read the article & very interesting.

There seems to be more covers than ever on the market since I bought my current one some 18 odd years ago from the Register shop but it doesn’t actually seem to fit the bill as far as the TR Action article goes!

I would also guess that some may also have dubious origins these days & without seeing/feeling it, difficult to tell quality. Has anyone got any specific recommendations for a cover they have used/are using?

Thanks to all for the suggestions, after a look at several, I went with Ken’s (Poolboy) recommendation & bought an Evolution premium edition cover. An internet search quickly found a supplier with a UK website without any problems & I ordered one after being offered an additional 10% discount. It actually shipped from Stafford TX US, free postage by Fedex International & arrived just 3 days later. If I’d realised it was coming from the US, I probably wouldn’t have ordered due to possible customs charges but was surprised it didn’t attract any.

The cover is now fitted & looks pretty good too; impressive service!