I am looking for color photos of the three cars of the 24 hours of Le Mans 1955 ...

there are color photos of the AH 100/4 but I can't find any TR2 !

there are also films but the quality is too bad and / or the speed too fast to distinguish anything ...

My goal is to find the right shade of green for the number 29 grille surround that Ken Richardson was driving…

3F897F95-05D8-48C1-B35E-1D45C4EB6518.jpeg

All the many photos of the 1955 event in Frédéric Reydellet's excellent Tome 5 are B&W.

Because of the expense, not many photographers were using colour in 1955.  I recall Graham Robson telling me that in 1962, Mike Sutcliffe, whose family were fairly affluent, one was of the few members of the Triumph team using colour.

Ian Cornish

Le Mans 1955

- PKV 374, TS 5691 O, n°68 white (19th),
- PKV 375, TS 5582 O, n° 29, green (15th), Ken Richardson’s car,
- PKV 376, TS 5534 O, n°28, red (14th)

I have sent Frédéric a note - we met in 2005 when four of us were on our way to Sicily in a TR4 (not mine, I was passenger) and a Lotus Elan Sprint, and I have kept in touch with him ever since. 

All 6 of his excellent and invaluable Tomes are in the bookcase just behind me.  He owns a very nice and rapid TR3A, by the way, and lives in a part of France (near St Etienne) where motoring really is fun!

I will report back,

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, roy53 said:

in the B/W photo the headlight rims don't seem to be chrome ???

They don't look the same shape as chrome headlamp rims either .....

Plus, the LH (as we look at the photo) spotlamp case looks to be black not chrome on PKV375 & 376 but car 68 seems to have 2 chrome spotlamps.

In some photos, the main light surrounds of 28 and 29 seem to be covered with a protection, perhaps colored like the grille surround?
But we see that for the race, they no longer have it ...

On the other hand, we can see that the 29, the boss's car, has a high Brookland unlike the other two ...

5E8FE101-8B74-4941-964C-D70AB2AD5205.jpeg

Was it the TRS that had padded light covers !

maybe something similar here ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have received this from Frédéric Reydellet this morning:

To answer your question about the TR2 1955 Le Mans, I seem to remember I had in my hands a photograph (or was it a video with a very short viewing of Ken's car, I think it was that, more probably than a colour  picture ?) showing the car's mouth was green. 

I'm nearly very sure it was not blue. 

I think this "mistake" is coming from a 1/43 model maker, producing a TR2 with a blue mouth. 

Moreover, all the black and white pictures showing that car do not leave to appear the very lesser demarcation between what would be two different colours, blue and green, if they existed.

For myself, I do think the mouth was green. But I may be wrong! 

I would agree with Frédéric that all the photographs show the mouth was the same colour as the rest of the car - green.

Ian Cornish