Sealing concrete

Sealing concrete

The concrete floor of my garage extends some 9” beyond the front of the door, at which point it meets the block-paved driveway.  When we moved here, some two and a half years ago, I had the concrete floor sealed with Coo Var Suregrip in a delightful shade of blue (well, 4VC is Powder Blue).  I had used Suregrip at our previous house in the garage and it had lasted very well over 28 years.

This year, I noticed that the seal was disintegrating into small pieces along the 9” threshold, and yesterday I used a trowel to ease off all the loose pieces – which was almost all of it!

I am now left with very rough concrete which I suspect might allow water to soak in and, over the coming winter, would then be likely to disintegrate further.  The concrete does not strike me as a very good and strong mixture, but I’m not about to dig up the garage floor!

I feel that I need to seal the concrete against the weather – any suggestions as to what I should use?

I note that Screwfix, which has a branch in Thame, has Sika Waterproof Coating Grey in 5kg tub for £16.99 – that colour and quantity would suit, but is it any good?  The car’s tyres would run over the threshold, but nearly always in the same two positions.

Ian Cornish

Ian

As the troublesome section is outside it is probably very porous by now and may even not have a membrane underneath hence water attacks any surface covering from both ways.

All I can suggest is using a waterproofing primer/sealer first ,using several applications and then the cover coat. From past experience its the only way to stop /slow down the covering lifting.

Others will be along with different ideas shortly I'm sure.

Brian

In the past I have had paint peel off a concrete floor. when I rubbed the floor with a finger it was dusty and the dust was attached to the back of the paint peelings.

The floor was not dusty when the paint was applied but the concrete was just naturally breaking down and the paint then had nothing to adhere to. After removing as much paint as I could I roller painted the floor with Everbuild 403 concrete hardener. This is not a paint or sealer but converts lime in the surface to  a silicate which is much harder than concrete and stops the concrete surface dusting in the future and the re-painted floor stayed stuck down. It is clear, cheap!!, and can be painted over quickly. It is also really useful stuff if you have concrete that is eroding by being swept. I would recommend for any garage floor even if you don't paint the floor.

Not connection just a happy customer.

Alan

Hi Ian

SIKA make a range of products for the construction, manufacturing & automotive

industries, may be worth a call to see what they advise.

Harvey

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, and particularly for Alan's personal experience.

I can get the Everbuild 403 concrete hardener on ebay, delivered for under £13, so I think that is what I shall order.

This Forum is a marvellous resource!

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, ianc said:

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, and particularly for Alan's personal experience.

I can get the Everbuild 403 concrete hardener on ebay, delivered for under £13, so I think that is what I shall order.

This Forum is a marvellous resource!

Ian Cornish

Ian

Pm Dave Burgess 

In the past I have used a polyester resin to seal dusty surfaces.  It penetrates and binds the surface together.  You can also apply paint to it provided you apply it before the resin has gone off completely because otherwise the paint won't be able to bond to it.  I am sure SIKA will offer a suitable material, although the one I used was called G4. See attached link.

G4 Damp Seal

Rgds Ian

PS G4 is mainly sold as a pond sealer but as you can see from the link, it can also be used as a primer.

Hi Ian

Just picked up your Pm, so sorry for not replying sooner, 

Nothing wrong with the advice you've received so far for domestic applications of sealers and the propriety brands of concrete floor paints that you get from the builders merchants. However, just like painting a car its down to 95% preparation and 5% application. Substrate must be dry, dust free, and free from all contaminants, ie no drips of TR engine oil on the surface. 

That said all these products are for domestic and builder use and pretty much frowned upon by the Concrete Repair industry industry that I'm involved in. Unfortunately the products that we use come in 205 litre drums or even IBC's but once applied are there for life. The difference in the quality of concrete coatings that you can get over a counter and those available to the CR industry are vast, put so is the price. (circa £75 -100/M2)

If you want any further advice Ian please send a couple of photos so that I can see exactly what your problem is and then give me a call.

All the best 

Dave

Thanks, once again, for the advice, gentlemen.

Having looked at specifications, I decided to order a quantity of G4 Damp Seal, and it should arrive by next week.

I have noted also Dave's advice on surface preparation - fortunately, although my TR marks its patch (don't they all?), it does so inside the garage on the drip tray, cardboard and newspapers.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Having cleaned all the loose material from the strip of concrete in front of the garage door, I applied G4 Damp Seal a few days ago when the ambient temperature was high.

As recommended,  about 70 minutes later, when it was touch dry, I applied a second coat.

I am pleased with the result as it has provided a tough waterproof coat to the concrete, and the resultant "dirty" colour is ideal.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen - definitely an excellent result for me!

Ian Cornish