Hi Guys,

it's Sunday afternoon and yet again another frustrating session in the footwell!!

A side issues whilst trying to sort out the overdrive, the relay ceased to work.

New warranty replacement speedily despatched by Russ @ Moss with correct paperwork to satisfy the French customs, so no duty payable.

Prior to fitting new relay all the wiring was checked, permanent feed from ammeter, ignition controlled feed, earth via column switch, feed to operating solenoid, all working as per spec, all cables good. (All the looms are new as this is a recent conversion to overdrive)

Connected up the new relay, only to find that o/d is now permanently switched in. 

Is this another faulty relay or something I'm doing wrong?

I hope the latter as I'm not a Moss basher, they do a really good job and without them and the hard work over the years from all the Pete's (Buckles, Cox and Wigglesworth) and many others many of us wouldn't be driving TR's now.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Adam

Hi Adam,

have you got a decent circuit diagram?  This one works well http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Can you see the markings on the new relay W1, W2, C1, C2

W1 has white wire going to Ignition 12V

W2 - Yellow Green and goes to the column switch.  The wire from the switch goes to the Inhibit switches on the GB top cover which are in parallel

C1 - Brown & White comes from the Ammeter (12V and a some amps.)

C2 - Yellow & Purple goes to the solenoid

Do these check out.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for yours, yes I'm using the auto-wire diagram.

All wires going to correct spades on relay.

All I can think is that somewhere there's an earth connection (not thru body of relay as its hanging loose) otherwise why is the solenoid engaging immediately with car in neural and ignition switched off?

If you are sure you have all the wires on the right terminals as Roger says, there are some simple diagnostics you can do - 

Pull the yellow/green wire from terminal W2.   Of the OD drops out there is something wrong in the switch and interlock wiring. 

If the OD remains engaged, the relay contacts may be permanently closed .  

Take the relay out and test it by applying 12v to W1, with W2 earthed. You should hear it click when you make the connection. If you have an ohmmeter connect it across C1 and C2. You should see the contact make when the voltage is applied to W1 and break when it is removed. 

If you haven't got an ohmmeter then temporarily connect C2 and W2 to earth. Connect a small 12v bulb between 12v and C1. The bulb should not light. Touch 12v to W1  - the bulb should light only when you make the connection and extinguish when you remove it.

If that test checks OK the relay is good and the fault must be elsewhere. 

Edited by RobH
3 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi Adam, Also check the column switch, if this faults to earth then you will have O/D in all four gears and reverse!!

Cheers Rob

Been there, done that!

Pete