Nee door Cards - escutcheon fitting

On 7/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, signalredshaker said:

To be honest, fitting these door cards is always a faff. I had two issues with their door cards- the holes are only approximate - but with quite a bit of effort can be made to work and the door card as shown is very thick where all those layers of material meet near the trailing edge of the door. It didn't used to be like this when John was in charge but it is , unfortunately, now. Why??

James

This is why I would never buy from them now, John snr products were far superior and I have one of his kits in my 4a from the days a long time ago when he supplied TR Shop. Not now.

Stuart.

Hi folks,

I fitted my door cards to the BlueRacer yesterday and today.  The cards were OK with only one clip hole about 1" out of place.

In using my template to align the clips made it quite an easy job.

One of the cards already had tatty holes for the door pull from a few years back. The left hand card had no holes for the door pull.

I used a little tool that I used on aircraft to transfer holes from one riveted panel to another.

It is a bent piece of steel  about 4" long, that has a gap just bigger than the material you are straddling.. The  end of the legs  has a hole drill through both legs.

One hole has a solid rivet in it and it's leg is filed into a point.

The pointy bit goes into the hole you are locating.   The card goes between the legs and you then drill through the hole in the exposed leg

Roger

DSC_6226a.jpg

DSC_6227a.jpg

DSC_6227b.jpg

DSC_6229a.jpg

DSC_6229b.jpg

Edited by RogerH
On 7/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

this drawing is pretty close to reality  +/_ 0.010"

Roger

doorcard template.doc 160 kB · 22 downloads

Hi Roger, that’s a great drawing, thank you. I think it will prove useful to a lot of people. I’ll download it and then print it off. 
As usual, you have been VP a great help. 

Greg

On 7/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, RogerH said:

Hi folks,

I fitted my door cards to the BlueRacer yesterday and today.  The cards were OK with only one clip hole about 1" out of place.

In using my template to align the clips made it quite an easy job.

One of the cards already had tatty holes for the door pull from a few years back. The left hand card had no holes for the door pull.

I used a little tool that I used on aircraft to transfer holes from one riveted panel to another.

It is a bent piece of steel  about 4" long, that has a gap just bigger than the material you are straddling.. The  end of the legs  has a hole drill through both legs.

One hole has a solid rivet in it and it's leg is filed into a point.

The pointy bit goes into the hole you are locating.   The card goes between the legs and you then drill through the hole in the exposed leg

Roger

DSC_6226a.jpg

DSC_6227a.jpg

DSC_6227b.jpg

DSC_6229a.jpg

DSC_6229b.jpg

This looks like a useful tool. Luckily, the trimmers made the door pull holes and the door handle/ window winder handle. That’s one hassle I’m spared. 
now I’m waiting for a couple of pieces before pulling the cards off again to refit with springs etc in situ. I can only hope I don’t mess it up. 

Greg

Ps. For some reason, I don’t get notices when anyone has responded to a post. 
Mao if I have not come back on a suggestion, that is why. 

36 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

it sounds like you do not have your notifications turned on.

Click on your name - top right corner.

Select account settings.

Turn on what ever notifications your after

Roger

Thanks Roger, I’ll sort that now.