Nee door Cards - escutcheon fitting

Hi all,

im looking for help, again!

I purchased a new trim kit from John Skinner and took it to a coach trimmers for fitting. There were some issues with door card fitting, which I hope I’ve overcome now. 
my problem is this. The coach trimmers didn’t remove the door cards and when they were trying to fit the cards they were unsure if the springs for the window winder and door handle fitted under or on top of the card. Years ago, when I used to do this sort of thing (Vauxhall’s and Fords) the spring fitted on the outside of the card under the escutcheon. I’m hoping this is the same for Triumph TR4’s. 
any ideas? 

Greg

Hi Greg,

the springs fit between the door metal chassis and the card.

The plastic escutcheon fits snugly against the card.

It can be quite a swine getting the pin into the handle - long nose pliers/tweezers etc would be handy.

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

the springs fit between the door metal chassis and the card.

The plastic escutcheon fits snugly against the card.

It can be quite a swine getting the pin into the handle - long nose pliers/tweezers etc would be handy.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thank you. I was hoping it would be the other way, had a pig of a job fitting the door cards! 
how do I keep them in place when fitting the door card? I’ve seen them taped down with masking tape. Is there a danger of the spring coming through the door card?

thank you again Roger, your extensive knowledge is proving beneficial. 

Greg

Hi Greg,

the springs should just sit on the spindles whilst you fight the card inserts into the door. A strip of masking tape may help.

The springs should not come through the card - I'm sure the big diameter goes against the card

Roger

Greg can you post a pic of the fitted doorcard,  showing the rear end please.

Its the area where the pocket finishes at the rear thats of interest. 

like this one, but from the vinyl side please.

P1080554.jpg

Edited by pfenlon
Thspelling error
14 hours ago, pfenlon said:

P1080554.jpg

Hi Pfenlon, 

I’ve only just seen your message. I’ll take a photo in a bit and post it. It won’t have the springs in, I’m saving that job for another day. Currently fitting new headlamp bowls and trying to sort out 50+ years of diy electrical bits; nightmare! 

Greg

17 hours ago, pfenlon said:

P1080554.jpg

Hi Pete,

that is not good. It should be straight t follow the indent in the door chassis.

Roger

14 minutes ago, Peter V W said:

Fixing springs onto door card

31AF7ABD-80C7-4228-82D5-676E978A5C96.jpeg

Hi Pete, thank you. That’s really helpful. 
I saw a video on you tube (Wegs Garage) where they did the same thing and they fitted the pin through the handle by one person compressing the spring and the other putting the pin in. Now to find a trusty assistant. 

Greg

2 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Pfenlon, 

I’ve only just seen your message. I’ll take a photo in a bit and post it. It won’t have the springs in, I’m saving that job for another day. Currently fitting new headlamp bowls and trying to sort out 50+ years of diy electrical bits; nightmare! 

Greg

Here is the close up of the rear of the door card on the passenger side. 

Greg

D2F0D8CC-2A64-4E66-B0AD-AB5AEC9C0E89.jpeg

22 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

the springs should just sit on the spindles whilst you fight the card inserts into the door. A strip of masking tape may help.

The springs should not come through the card - I'm sure the big diameter goes against the card

Roger

Hi Roger,

thank you, I now see how they fit and will tackle this in the not too distant future and I’ll let you know how I get on. 

Greg

I found that fitting the new cards to my 4a was really easy.  When TRGB had the car in for an engine rebuild and a new window I just said "While you have the doors apart can you fit new door cards please", simple as that and no fighting the pin back into place!  :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

Hi Pfenion,

I bought mine from John Skinner. Some of the clip holes don’t line up. Not sure what to do. Is the car or the trim? 

Greg

Hi Greg,

now you have started something. I was fitting the door cards (right hand door today) not because of this thread but it had to be done.

Mine are also Jon Skinner and the holes are apprx in the correct place. - Note - the holes have to be off centre as the locating pin is itself off centre.

Many many moons ago I made a template that aligned the pointy bit of the attachment pegs. This gave a nice starting point.

Needless to say that got thrown away many moons ago.

Today I made a new template from 9mm MDF.  I have a spare door with no skin on it so it is easy to drill through and get all the holes in the correct place.

The new door card with clips in apprx position are then adjusted and inserted into the MDF.

This is now carefully transferred  to the door. ( the bloody clips still drop out).

Insert the three clips on the front vertical edge firstly.

Then go along the bottom. You can actually see where they are going by gently bending the card away from the door.

Then do the Rear vertical edge

And finally the top.

Roger

PS - there may be another way that would be easier.

Insert all the clips in any one row  eg the 4 along the bottom.

Using a 1" wide strip of Ali or stainless that covers the length of the 4 clips insert it into the clips - make sure the clips are tight on the metal.

Repeat this for the other 3 sides.

Coat the metal strips in contact adhesive. Coat the door card with contact adhesive - when ready press the card onto the door.

To be honest, fitting these door cards is always a faff. I had two issues with their door cards- the holes are only approximate - but with quite a bit of effort can be made to work and the door card as shown is very thick where all those layers of material meet near the trailing edge of the door. It didn't used to be like this when John was in charge but it is , unfortunately, now. Why??

James

5 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I found that fitting the new cards to my 4a was really easy.  When TRGB had the car in for an engine rebuild and a new window I just said "While you have the doors apart can you fit new door cards please", simple as that and no fighting the pin back into place!  :rolleyes:

Lucky you, I can’t drive all the way to TRGB, but if I could………

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

now you have started something. I was fitting the door cards (right hand door today) not because of this thread but it had to be done.

Mine are also Jon Skinner and the holes are apprx in the correct place. - Note - the holes have to be off centre as the locating pin is itself off centre.

Many many moons ago I made a template that aligned the pointy bit of the attachment pegs. This gave a nice starting point.

Needless to say that got thrown away many moons ago.

Today I made a new template from 9mm MDF.  I have a spare door with no skin on it so it is easy to drill through and get all the holes in the correct place.

The new door card with clips in apprx position are then adjusted and inserted into the MDF.

This is now carefully transferred  to the door. ( the bloody clips still drop out).

Insert the three clips on the front vertical edge firstly.

Then go along the bottom. You can actually see where they are going by gently bending the card away from the door.

Then do the Rear vertical edge

And finally the top.

Roger

PS - there may be another way that would be easier.

Insert all the clips in any one row  eg the 4 along the bottom.

Using a 1" wide strip of Ali or stainless that covers the length of the 4 clips insert it into the clips - make sure the clips are tight on the metal.

Repeat this for the other 3 sides.

Coat the metal strips in contact adhesive. Coat the door card with contact adhesive - when ready press the card onto the door.

Hi Roger,

I shall follow you first idea and make up a template of some kind. 
I have to finish sorting out the headlights and some wiring under the dash (high beam light not coming on in the speedo); broken wire somewhere from the carpet being fitted. 

Greg

2 hours ago, signalredshaker said:

To be honest, fitting these door cards is always a faff. I had two issues with their door cards- the holes are only approximate - but with quite a bit of effort can be made to work and the door card as shown is very thick where all those layers of material meet near the trailing edge of the door. It didn't used to be like this when John was in charge but it is , unfortunately, now. Why??

James

Good question James. They boast that if  they provide something it will fit. If not, they will sort it. I don’t want to test that boast. 

Greg